AppFolio (501+ Employees, 28% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Hi, We’re AppFolio.
We’re innovators, changemakers, and collaborators. We’re more than just a software company — we’re a cloud-based powerhouse that creates products to make our customers’ lives easier. We’re revolutionizing the way people do business, and we want your ideas, your enthusiasm, and your passion to help us keep on innovating. We love where we work, and you can, too.
**NOTE: Our major development hubs are based in Santa Barbara, CA and San Diego, CA. However, we’re open to exploring remote-first working arrangements in other locations around the United States if relocation is not desired.**
Who we are looking for:
We are hiring a Full Stack Senior Software Engineer to be a founding member of our Identity and Access Management team. Are you interested in developing and leveraging expertise in a mission critical domain? Do you want to solve deep technical problems and work with a system that must scale across a rapidly growing customer base? Do you love seeing the fruits of your labor via regular customer feedback and delivering measurable improvements? You might be who we’re looking for.
Security isn’t only core to AppFolio and our values – it’s paramount to our customers and the longevity and trustworthiness of their businesses. In this role, you and your team will ensure safe and secure access across all of AppFolio Property Manager, keeping millions of users and their data safe by taking a customer-centric approach to balancing security and convenience. You will own this domain – from the UI that customers experience when they login, all the way through managing users, roles, and permissions. Together with your team you’ll relentlessly chase down usability problems, scale our infrastructure to support larger customers and internal company growth, as well as guide product development teams in best practices related to IAM.
- Own and improve our libraries and infrastructure supporting authentication and authorization through independent study, cross-functional collaboration, and partnership with existing subject matter experts.
- Act as an evangelist in product security – capable of setting patterns, standards, and mentoring more junior developers.
- Determine key architectural and design decisions enabling a scalable and robust system with a simple customer experience – this will involve some combination of leveraging our existing technology, refactoring, integrating with partners, or starting from scratch when it makes sense.
- Participate in customer research/discovery with Product partners to understand customer problems, needs, and estimate technical feasibility of various potential solutions.
- Work in a truly agile fashion to turn unruly problems into thinly sliced deliverables and execute quickly against them while limiting work in progress.
- Hold a high bar of engineering excellence and always look for ways to raise it. Adopt our engineering best practices, provide and receive in-depth code reviews, and participate in healthy debate as a team. Evangelize your own expertise and experience among your teammates and the rest of the organization.
- Prioritize quality. Thoughtful test coverage is a given and any escalations from external stakeholders like customer care are handled and resolved swiftly.
- Together with your team, your solutions are always well-instrumented. Queries and dashboards are easily accessible and regularly used to drive decisions as well as measure and celebrate progress.
- Enthusiastically participate in a high performing, empowered team with high levels of mutual trust and respect. As part of an empowered team, you will take ownership of your problem space – reflecting and growing from our failures and celebrating our successes.
You know you’re the right fit if you have…
- Experience developing web applications (5+ years in software development), preferably in an agile SaaS environment.
- Experience designing and implementing identity and access management solutions.
- Knowledge in common industry standards and protocols and their implementations in production environments. (i.e. MFA, OAuth, SSO, SAML, OpenId Connect, etc.)
- Proven experience working across all levels of the development stack.
- Mastery experience with a few areas of our tech like Ruby on Rails, React, SQL
- Strong familiarity with Agile software development processes: Scrum or Kanban
- Strong familiarity with Test-Driven-Development
- Strong familiarity with Secure software development practices and the OWASP Top 10
- Creativity and proactivity – an ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- A love of learning about and using new tech, but also understand the value of continuing to leverage existing technology when it gets the job done.
- A core belief in stewarding the long-term maintainability of the codebase and advocate for refactoring and code cleanliness.
- The ability to identify and resolve code-smells through sensible refactoring.
If you are interested in creating exceptional SaaS products and being part of a successful public company, apply today!
Statement of Equal Opportunity
At AppFolio, we value diversity in backgrounds and perspectives and depend on it to drive our innovative culture. That’s why we’re a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, and we believe that our products, our teams, and our business are stronger because of it. This means that no matter what race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status, you’re always welcome at AppFolio.