Oportun (501+ Employees, 76% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Artificial Intelligence and a digital platform are essential to our ability to fulfill Oportun’s financially inclusive mission. The Technology team @ Oportun is dedicated to this mission which we enable by creating, delivering, and maintaining elegant, intuitive, and performant systems to support the needs of our customers and business partners.
Oportun is looking for Staff Software Engineer to join our Loan Management System Team. This experienced engineer will help play a key role in implementing our roadmap for our Loan Management System. The right candidate will be a balance between a technical expert and a person who can understand and support Oportun’s business priorities and risk appetite. This individual must operate with a high degree of autonomy, accountability, urgency, and maturity.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will
- Partner with product and architecture to design and determine the best solutions to solve problems and how to best implement those solutions in an agile, scalable manner.
- Act as either an individual contributor or a team leader depending on the initiative and scope of the work.
- Be passionate about the quality of your deliverables.
- Troubleshoot issues (for both production and pre-production) to derive & optimize solutions for them.
- Be able to work with geographically distributed teams in an asynchronous manner through the entire software life cycle.
- Provide updates to partners and stakeholders on the development processes, estimates, and plan execution.
- Bring your love of technology and new approaches to help strengthen the team and provide feedback on ways to improve.
- Mentor, coach and help other team members.
- 9+ years of proven, professional development experience for consumer-facing products (using OO Design and Analysis, Design Patterns, Data structures, etc.).
- 4+ years of experience in a team lead or architect role.
- In-depth understanding of Java based coding languages (Java/J2EE, Kotlin, Groovy, etc.) and frameworks (Spring, SpringBoot).
- Experience with relational Databases such as MySQL and NoSQL Databases such as MongoDB, (Scylla/Solr/Lucene will be a plus).
- Experience with scalable, low-latency, highly available distributed systems.
- Experience with RESTful APIs and the associated best practices.
- Experience with TDD and robust test coverage.
- Experience working with version control using GIT/BitBucket.
- Proven strong analytical and problem-solving skills – including requirements analysis, planning and risk assessment.
- Proven ability to learn new technologies and business concepts.
- Strong ability to build relationships with internal leadership at all levels, along with effective interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Strong communication skills, (written and verbal) to both share ideas and document your work.
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure and respond with urgency.
- Experience with loan management system transactions, especially complex transactional systems in FinTech (preferred).
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is an A.I.-powered digital banking platform that seeks to make financial health effortless for anyone. Driven by a mission to provide inclusive and affordable financial services, Oportun helps its nearly 1.5 million hardworking members meet their daily borrowing, savings, banking, and investing needs. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $12 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2 billion in interest and fees, and automatically helped members set aside more than $7.2 billion for rainy days and other needs. In recognition of its responsibly designed products, Oportun has been certified as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) since 2009.
With headquarters in California and a remote-first corporate culture, our 3,000+ team members work in Oportun locations and remotely throughout the United States, Mexico, and India.u202f Our global operations include our Mexico contact centers and administrative offices, our India technology development center, and our US corporate, technology, and retail operations.
We are proud to have been named a “Top Workplace” by the Bay Area News Group for three consecutive years, one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World for 2020 and recognized as one of TIME Magazine’s 2018 Genius Companies Reinventing the Future.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups and our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Council.
As a “remote-first” workplace, our team members live, work and collaborate from their homes, remote work locations and our offices and contact centers in the United States, Mexico, and India. No matter our location, we are dedicated to our mission to provide inclusive, affordable financial services that empower our customers to build a better future.