SoFi (501+ Employees, 52% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Who we are:
Shape a brighter financial future with us.
Together with our members, we’re changing the way people think about and interact with personal finance.
We’re a next-generation fintech company using innovative, mobile-first technology to help our millions of members reach their goals. The industry is going through an unprecedented transformation, and we’re at the forefront. We’re proud to come to work every day knowing that what we do has a direct impact on people’s lives, with our core values guiding us every step of the way. Join us to invest in yourself, your career, and the financial world.
Our Finance team is expanding, and we are looking for passionate, dynamic individuals who are ready to grow their career. We are seeking an experienced State and Local Tax Manager to join our finance team.
What you’ll do:
- Lead state tax & local compliance processes and liaise with external service providers.
- Ensure accurate and timely filing of all state and local returns including income/franchise, sales & use and other business-related filings.
- Manage state tax controversy including examinations, audit defense planning, notice responses, and VDA projects.
- Consult with restructuring projects for tax apportionment planning.
- Assist with tax incentive credit opportunities, planning and compliance.
- Serve as point of contact internally and externally, including being a subject matter expert for internal inquiries, coordinating audits, and overseeing responses to notices from taxing jurisdictions.
- Assist in identifying and developing state tax planning opportunities, as well as monitoring legislative and regulatory developments.
- Lead business state & local tax registrations and deregistrations.
- Perform or assist with nexus studies and apportionment analysis.
- Act as a subject matter expert for all state and local income tax matters as they relate to the business operations.
- Assist with state tax provision and preparation of SALT related accruals, journal entries, and related account reconciliations.
- Assist with the implementation of technology tools and process improvements.
- Research and analyze a wide range of SALT issues and implications.
- Ensure adherence with SOX 404 documentation for tax accounting controls and related enhancements where necessary.
- Work with cross functional teams to further understand business processes.
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- MS in Tax or C.P.A. preferred.
- 5+ years of related experience required.
- Strong technical knowledge of state and local tax including income/franchise, sales & use and other business-related filings.
- A combination of public accounting and corporate experience is preferred.
- Possess an understanding of ASC 740 principles, as well as federal and state tax concepts.
- Strong computer skills utilizing MS Office applications.
- Familiarity or experience with advanced technology such as Alteryx, Power Pivot/Bi and Tableau.
- High attention to detail with ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Inventive, resourceful and have remarkable analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to communicate sophisticated tax concepts in ways that are meaningful to non-tax professionals.
- Financial and/or Tech Sector experience.
- Experience with Netsuite is a plus.
- Self-starter and highly collaborative with a strong work ethic.
- Dedication to providing high quality work and eagerness to learn.
- Able to work seamlessly with different parties and departments.
Why you’ll love working here:
- Competitive salary packages and bonuses
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits
- Generous vacation and holidays
- Paid parental leave for eligible employees
- 401(k) and education on retirement planning
- Tuition reimbursement on approved programs
- Monthly contribution up to $200 to help you pay off your student loans
- Great health & well-being benefits including: telehealth parental support, subsidized gym program
*These benefits are only applicable to full time employees
SoFi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, breastfeeding, and conditions related to breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, age (40 or over), physical or medical disability, medical condition, marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military and/or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable state or federal law.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is our top priority. Due to the ongoing nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, effective on November 1, 2021, U.S. employees must be fully vaccinated and boosted (when eligible) to work from any of our offices, travel for business or attend work-related meetings.