Square (501+ Employees, 67% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Square is a merchant services aggregator and mobile payment company that aims to simplify commerce through technology.
Square is looking for an Indirect Tax Manager, reporting to the Global Indirect Tax Lead, to join our tax team. You will support all transaction tax compliance, reporting, audits, planning, and integration activities. Candidates must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment and work closely and proactively within the tax team and numerous functional teams across our organization. This position can sit in any Square office in the US or be full-time remote within the continental US.
- Perform tax research related to different Square products, prepare memorandums and other written documents, maintain and communicate knowledge of past, present and potential future indirect tax laws, guidance, and court decisions that are applicable to the core business.
- Support indirect tax planning, potential acquisitions and product consulting.
- Lead the implementation of processes as a result of new and evolving business practices or tax legislation.
- Manage aspects of the indirect tax compliance, which includes the management of the different source data, review the work papers prepared internally or by a third-party provider, ensure that all activities that occur are completed.
- Review monthly indirect tax accruals and reconciliations for key accounts for SOX control purposes and ensure efficient closure of indirect tax audits and tax assessment notices.
- Lead the development of software solutions for indirect tax automation; identify, develop, and direct the implementation of technology tools and process improvements to reduce low-value work and increase tax resource productivity/focus on more value-added work
- Build relationships with third-party service providers, Square’s finance, system, counsel and accounting professionals to ensure that the Indirect Tax returns are based on complete and accurate information.
- Partner with and/or lead a team of motivated tax professionals; Guide and partner with multiple teams to establish and refine tax policies, processes, and system workflows.
- Lead educational sessions on developments in tax legislation and case law.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- 7+ years of tax experience working at a public accounting firm OR equivalent experience at a multinational corporation with complex multi-state taxes and industry, focused on indirect tax
- You have a detailed understanding of common principles of indirect tax and ability to apply them to the business and detailed exposure to indirect taxation, country-specific or multi-jurisdictional indirect tax consulting and indirect tax compliance
- Experience with project, people management and organization skills
- Familiarity with e-commerce sales taxation trends and the tax implications
- A great sense of accuracy; Good listening, negotiation, and problem-resolution skills.
- An upbeat attitude; ability to seek out and implement internal or external best practices, required
- Demonstrated passion and track record of delivering results in a rapidly changing business environment.
- Must be able to analyze all sides of an argument, have strong analytical skills, document tax positions for our auditors, and ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place to ensure all aspects have been considered.
- CPA, JD or Master’s in Taxation or equivalent.
- Experience in Big 4 accounting firms or law firms
- Global indirect tax experience in the technology industry and/or multinational company.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources