Are you an advocate for the technical user? Do you recognize that not everyone has the same depth of knowledge so technical documentation should cater to all levels? If you’re able to talk about the chaotic documentation you’ve tamed in the past, from the high-level “big changes” down to the “subtle tweaks”, we want to hear from you. This is a technical role so be prepared to get hands on – you don’t need to be a database expert, but if you are, even better!
Percona creates some of the most amazing database software available and ensures that it is made freely available to all who desire enterprise class functionality without the enterprise costs. As databases and database-related software can sometimes be complicated, we need world-class documentation to enable our users to get the most from our products.
As the Technical Documentation Editor, you will help unify the style and voice of our technical writers and be a champion for our users. Our goal is to ensure we have the appropriate documentation to allow users to install and use our software to its fullest potential.
While you won’t necessarily create the content, you will identify gaps, work with technical writers to fill those gaps and ensure that we have a consistent voice and style across our many products. We want to be known for great documentation to compliment the software itself and you will have the opportunity to elevate us to that level.
What You Will Do
- Use your creativity in communicating complex topics in approachable, engaging, technically accurate, and consistent ways
- Work collaboratively with technical writers to hone their skills throughout the editorial process but not be a bottleneck
- Strike a balance between creating our own content vs referencing others but in as consistent a manner as possible across the product suite
- Work with our marketing team to ensure we are using appropriate tools to power our documentation that consider contributions from several writers, content searchability, SEO
- Create and own our technical documentation style guide
- Own the backlog for what is still needed and work with technical writers to ensure proper prioritization in closing the gaps while still keeping pace with existing development
- Work with text markup such as Markdown, Restructured Text, HTML, or XML using various GUI tools and text editors
- 3+ years of experience as a developmental and line editor of technical documentation
- You have managed multiple versions of documentation for multiple projects using a version control system (Git)
- Knowledge of technical concepts in the open source space, preferably MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Linux , etc.
- Excellent written and verbal English
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to work with others as well as independently in a fully remote environment across many time zones (GMT-6 through GMT+2)
- Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in English, Instructional Design, Computer Science, or related studies, or equivalent experience
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Deep Unix/Linux experience
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Native English speaker