Truss Works (51-200 Employees, 25% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Truss is tackling strategically tough, transformative technical problems for large government agencies, Fortune 500 and late-stage venture-backed companies. We use modern development practices to build software, streamline infrastructure, and train others through shoulder to shoulder exposure to our teams. We have earned a reputation with our clients for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise and trust. We extend these values to our strong relationships with contractors, partners and employees, because we believe this is fundamental to doing great work. Truss was named one of the Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies in 2020 and 2021.
In the next five years, Truss is looking to increase headcount 2 to 3x (currently at a 130 headcount), graduate into the large business government contracting category, and have a larger market share of both private and public sector contracts. We have been a remote-first organization since our inception in 2012 and are eager to continue being an industry leader in salary transparency, providing a sustainable work environment, and advocating for diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging within our organization.
We are searching for…
…a benevolent impactful strategist who will define our business plan and strategy for Truss’ expansion into multiple business units that span both private and public sectors. As the Vice President of Strategy & Innovation, you will need a strong entrepreneurial spirit, be strong at building alliances, create processes to develop new lines of business, and can be unwavering in the face of ambiguity. If you’ve read Jim Collins’ “Good to Great,” you understand and practice the concept of “bullets to cannonballs.” This role would be shooting the bullets to test an idea before investing more deeply in the cannonballs.
Where you thrive:
- You enjoy and have had success navigating and leading in an ambiguous work environment.
- You enjoy solving complex problems.
- You have an understanding of modern software development.
- You have shown the ability to not only provide thought and strategic leadership, but also to implement and execute your ideas.
- You have experience in implementing business and strategic plans that align with the big picture business goals.
- You have a strength in collaboration and understanding partners’ strengths quickly that allow you to develop complementary strategic plans.
Success Outcome 1: Strategy to Enter the Large Business Category
- Development of a business plan to successfully guide Truss into new business categories.
- Example: Small Business Category into large.
- Identify, develop, and pursue market opportunities to diversify and grow the business functions by creating a business model which clearly articulates market opportunity, competition, value proposition, and revenue generation.
- Success will be measured by a clear go-no/go framework, customer development artifacts, demonstrable results in revenue and a clear path to greater revenue.
- Creating new paths and intentional opportunities for growth in the contracting industry.
Success Outcome 2: Clearly Define, Create, and Run Experiments.
- Identifying and measuring outcomes. For example, measuring this can be in terms of revenue generated, revenue growth over time, or profit margin of this unit increasing over time.
- Record and iterate on experiments working through ambiguity.
- Creating hypotheses to nudge, measure, and iterate on strategic ideas.
- Comfortable with transparency in their vision and work.
- Will need to develop and provide consistent reports to leadership and organization in regards to experiment wins, losses, and updates.
Success Outcome 3: Define and Refine the Current Product.
- Partnering with the Product Leadership team to understand the current “Truss Product” and building out the strategy and path for the next iteration. The candidate will ensure that they are working in tandem and in a collaborative manner with the leadership team to build consensus on how the vision will be executed with an inclusive and collaborative style.
- Collaborate with the Delivery team to identify parts of Truss’ existing business that could be refined into more efficient or higher quality service offerings.
- Establish ways of measuring outcomes for clients from these offerings based on impact in collaboration with the CEO.
- Assist in developing a clear, publicly shareable impact statement with the Leadership team, whereby the measurable outcome of our work is focused on social good.
Eligibility: You must be eligible to work in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Truss is a federal contractor and as such must adhere to executive order 14042 for the Covid Vaccination mandate regarding federal contractors. Upon employment, Truss will request proof of vaccination. If a medical or religious accommodation is needed, a discussion can be held with our People Operations department.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids, and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **