Syllable (51-200 Employees, 68% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Syllable is a technology company based in Sunnyvale, California, leveraging AI and ML to create natural, multimodality support for patients to get things done efficiently across medical practices and hospitals. Our solutions meaningfully improve patients’ pre- and post-clinic visit experiences by harnessing technology that can connect them to what they need the most with less wasted time and energy.
In 2021, Syllable interacted with 39.7M Americans in text and voice, improving their access to primary care, specialty referrals, vaccinations, and general practice information. Syllable’s customers include Parkview Healthcare, Shannon Healthcare, NewYork-Presbyterian, Weill Cornell Ambulatory Care Network, Houston Methodist, and Mass General-Brigham. Syllable was also recognized as a most promising startup in healthcare for 2022 by CB Insights, picked as a leader in the private market from a pool of 7,000 companies.
Simplify and enhance everyday interactions between patients and care providers.
Care should begin from the moment an individual reaches out for information, or to schedule an appointment, long before they arrive at the clinic. Great service can turn one patient from feeling like a number to feeling truly cared for. We exist to help health systems improve the patient experience.
Syllable is a user-centric, product-focused company delivering end-to-end healthcare solutions that meaningfully improve patient journeys. As a Visual Designer, you are expected to represent depth in the craft of visual design: as an individual contributor and as a mentor / guide for more junior colleagues. You’ll often be the backbone of your projects from beginning to end. You’ll plan, prioritize, and deliver visual design activities autonomously, in the context of interdisciplinary projects. You’ll lead project conversations within your domain, providing articulate recommendations and helping guide choices. You’ll have opportunities to lead small teams on projects and contribute to business development through proposal-writing and pitches.
- Translate brand principles, themes, and moods into strategic frameworks for visual expressions; by building on either existing direction, or creating one from scratch
- Create scalable design language systems for typography, iconography, color, grid, design components, and layouts
- Harmonize utilitarian needs of the user (accessibility, usability, navigation, key features) with more emotional values of design to create unique and distinguished brand equity for Syllable
- Craft user interfaces for digital consumer and enterprise products
- Design brand identities and brand collateral
- Create multi-media narratives that tell engaging stories of a team, project, or deliverable, with the audience and communication objective in mind
You must meet these minimum qualifications to be considered:
- 4+ years of professional visual design experience (although you might have had a different job title, like “UI designer” or “art director”)
- Highly developed design skills, demonstrated in your portfolio of recent work
- Confident presentation and storytelling abilities
- Experience collaborating in multifunctional teams as the visual design lead
- Proficiency with contemporary design and prototyping tools and methods
- A passion for creating products that meet people's functional and emotional needs
- As part of your application, please include a link or PDF of your portfolio of recent work, highlighting your abilities and experience relevant to the role, with specific examples of how you work, think, collaborate, and contribute to great design outcomes. Please note that we are unable to accept any applications without a portfolio.
Having as many of these specific qualifications is a plus, but transferable skills/experiences may be equally valuable:
- A university degree in Graphic Design, Visual Communications, or a related design or artistic discipline
- Experience working in a variety of organizations (start-up, corporate, agency/consultancy)
- Academic, professional, or life experience from outside the design field that enriches your perspective as a designer
The Syllable team comprises healthcare and technology experts that are passionate about product design, engineering, and operational excellence. Our investors include OakHC/FT, Section 32 and Verily/Alphabet. We are lifelong learners, ending each day together with the question: “What did we learn today and what can we do better?” We show up with humility and a collaborative spirit every day, because we are tackling an important yet challenging problem in healthcare that requires talent and grit.
We offer our employees competitive salary and equity and the following benefits:
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance comparable to major technology companies
- 100% reimbursed mental health benefit
- 15 vacation days plus 10 company holidays
- Career coaching for every employee