At TaskRabbit, we want to make your neighborhood a little more familiar. Whether it’s a handyman (or woman!), a housecleaner, moving help or delivery person, we’re imagining a world where everyone will have a go-to team to make everyday life easier.
As a pioneer of the sharing economy, TaskRabbit was founded on the premise of neighbors helping neighbors. Since then, our network has grown to six countries and 45+ cities, yet our core mission of creating a better everyday life for everyday people has remained the same.
Together with IKEA, we’re creating more opportunities for people to earn a consistent, meaningful income on their own terms by building lasting relationships with clients in communities around the world.
We are a group of mission-minded people. Our culture is collaborative, pragmatic, and fast-paced. We’re looking for talented, entrepreneurially-minded and data-driven people who also have a passion for helping people do what they love – and have a ton of fun while they’re at it.
About the Job
At a point of major inflection and scale, TaskRabbit is looking for a VP of Data to come on as a driving force behind the company’s data strategy and execution. This executive will be responsible for attracting and retaining high-caliber data analysts and data scientists as well as machine learning scientists and engineers focused on innovation and rapid iteration. The team is at the heart of TaskRabbit’s expansion, infused in every aspect of the business. We are looking for a strategic leader who can scale our data analytics and engineering capabilities as we enter a period of exponential growth. This person will lead the development of key data/ML products and capabilities to enable data-driven product development and decision making at TaskRabbit. You, along with your team, will dig into the data to uncover insights, identify opportunities for product improvements and new product development, define product metrics with goals, design experiments and drive customer experience, engagement, and adoption of TaskRabbit’s products.
As the VP of Data, you will be responsible for defining the roadmap for your team and be responsible for planning and executing key initiatives for datascience, machine learning, and product insights. You will also drive the requirements of our dataplatform to enable data scientists to easily explore, evaluate, and analyze new data sets for key insights and to build high-performing data products.
This role will be responsible for leading our entire data organization and taking the existing data infrastructure to the next level. Sitting on the Senior Leadership Team, you will also be a strategic partner to the CEO, VP of Product, VP of Engineering and other functions within the organization designing data solutions to drive growth. In this role, you will define, embody, and empower the company’s data-driven culture.
To excel in this role, you will need to be a seasoned data scientist with a strong grasp of business and data science fundamentals and a track record of building data & analytics capabilities to enable actionable customer and product insights. The ideal person should be a hands-on leader who is strategic in decision making, relentless in execution, and passionate about building products, and capabilities that enable a culture of experimentation and data-driven product development.
Join us in creating a better everyday life for everyday people.
- Foster data-driven culture of innovation, iteration, and ownership throughout all of TaskRabbit
- Manage and lead a team of world-class data analysts, data engineers, and data scientists to support our aggressive growth and deliver key data / ML products and capabilities
- Be the subject matter expert for driving the product instrumentation and product data strategy
- Drive data consistency within a common framework and taxonomy to drive continued improvements to data-driven insights across the business
- Own both the long-term technical data strategy and the day-to-day operations, including fostering innovation and implementing best practices
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to research, build & improve data science models and analysis to identify opportunities for product improvements, new product features, product utilization and improve customer experience, engagement, and retention
- Lead the creation of new data-driven approaches for the purpose of generating business insights through data analytics, information visualization, and addressing unanswered business issues in a proactive manner
- Leverage the momentum of the business to create career defining growth opportunities for your team
- Facilitate TaskRabbit’s development ensuring that data enables continued growth, including enhanced machine learning models and marketplace dynamics technologies
- Ensure that data architecture is scalable, repeatable, and secure, and can serve multiple users within the company
- Design data governance and security protocols
- Manage the vision and roadmap for the data team
- Represent the data science discipline throughout the organization. You will have a powerful voice in the company and represent data scientists across different parts of the business.
- Attract and retain a diverse, high caliber, output-oriented team
- 12+ years of machine learning, advanced analytics, or data science experience
- 5+ years of management experience in leading data & analytics teams
- Prior experience as a manager with a successful track record in building teams, defining goals and overseeing execution
- Hands-on experience in designing, developing, and maintaining data science, analytics and machine learning products and capabilities
- Proficiency in SQL and Python
- Previous experience in a fast-paced marketplace platform preferred
- You are equally comfortable presenting to executives as you are writing complex SQL queries
- Experience solving business problems by turning raw data into actionable insights
- Strong knowledge of machine learning modeling concepts and experience designing and implementing data models for applications and/or reporting
- Experience designing impactful KPIs and metrics to measure operational performance
- Expertise with Business Intelligence/Data Visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau or others
- Experience with cloud related technologies AWS (preferred), Azure, or Google Cloud
- Knowledge of data management and governance: data architecture, collection, storage (infrastructure), engineering and operations
- Demonstrated problem solving and quantitative skills, combined with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- MS or PhD in quantitative fields (Statistics, Math, CS or Engineering)
You’ll love working here because:
- The People. You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, supportive, smart, and kind leaders and teams — people you can be proud to work with!
- The Values.
- Care Deeply. We take time to be present and partner with our team and communities.
- Level Up. We navigate through ambiguity and go the extra mile.
- Be A Better Neighbor. We build a diverse and sustainable community and encourage all voices.
- Lead The Future Together. We value entrepreneurship and inspire by action.
- The diverse culture. We believe that we make better decisions when our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Women make up more than half of our team and leadership, and we strive to recruit and retain employees from all over the world.
- The perks. TaskRabbit offers comprehensive medical benefits, generous vacation and holiday time off, commuter benefits, learning and development opportunities, career development trainings, monthly TaskRabbit product stipends, IKEA discounts, free lunch, weekly meditations, charity events, and a dog-friendly office.
TaskRabbit is a task management network that conveniently connects people with Taskers to handle everyday home to-do’s, such as furniture assembly, handyman work, moving help, and much more. Acquired by IKEA Group – the world’s largest furniture retailer – in 2017, TaskRabbit operates in the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada and is expanding its global reach rapidly.
As a pioneer of the sharing economy, TaskRabbit was founded in 2008 on the premise of neighbors helping neighbors. Since then, our network has grown to three countries, 45 cities and over 140,000+ Taskers, yet our core mission has remained the same. We want to make everyday life easier for everyday people. And by doing that, we can make your neighborhood a little more familiar.
In 2017, TaskRabbit launched TaskRabbit for Good (TR4G), which connects neighbors to build sustainable and compassionate communities. TaskRabbit for Good was created to make it easier for neighbors to give back locally and make a positive impact in communities around the world. TaskRabbit donates a portion of its service fee from all TR4G initiatives to best-in-class local non-profit organizations tackling social and environmental challenges.
TaskRabbit’s headquarters is located in the heart of San Francisco, with two other offices in Austin, and London.
Equal Opportunity Employer
TaskRabbit is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military/veteran status, or disability status. TaskRabbit is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
TaskRabbit will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.