Stack Overflow (501+ Employees, 31% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
As a brand designer at Stack Overflow, you’ll be responsible for creating and evolving our brand. You’ll be crafting creative for our technical audience across projects that span every medium – video & animation, website design, emails, editorial design, physical spaces, swag, internal communications, in-product illustration, and everything in between.
The brand design team is a small team embedded in the marketing department, but works with stakeholders throughout the company as well as our network of freelance illustrators and designers. Brand design and product design teams maintain close links (through cross-function critiques and design exercises & projects) and our culture strongly emphasizes collaboration over competition, so you’ll be working with folks who are eager to help each other grow and succeed.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on our numerous ‘go-to-market’ campaigns with our product marketing and sales team, driven by the evolution of our services: Stack Overflow for Teams, Stack Overflow Advertising & Employer Branding (formerly Talent) and Collectives on Stack Overflow™.
- Strategize, plan and design wider brand awareness campaigns – recent examples include The Key and Reputation Awards for our public platform users.
- Help with the day-to-day designs Marketing needs of the company – internal & external presentations, display ads, email graphics, ‘one-pagers’.
- Collaborate closely with our content & communications teams on both designing and art directing illustration, social content for editorial and videos for our Blog and Podcast.
- Advise and assist our product design team on decisions which affect the micro and macro of our brand. Contributions are expected to be formalized in our design system – including in product iconography, illustration and typography.
- Design & art direction for our recurring community projects such as Winter Bash and Developer Survey.
- Creating all the marketing collateral (web design, banner ads, PDFs, emails, videos etc) for new headline features for Stack Overflow for Teams for example we recently launched a new Free tier.
- Briefing and managing our network of freelancers we use for the Blog.
- Presentations for when teammates speak at public events on behalf of Stack Overflow.
- Internal and external ‘swag’ – recent projects include The Key.
- Digital design for our homepage and other marketing sites.
- Working with the design system team to create templates and guidelines, such as our ever growing icon set for the product and brand projects.
- Participating in critique sessions with the wider design team, both sync and async.
What You’ll Need:
- A portfolio detailing your process and final work (please include a link or attachment, we won’t consider applications without one).
- We’re flexible on years of experience (and therefore title & salary), but you have on-the-job design experience at an agency, in-house, or freelance. Internships count!
- Experience with B2B and/or B2C Brands in our industry or related field.
- We primarily use Figma but occasionally design tools such as & Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.
- An excellent communicator – you must be able to concept and pitch your ideas remotely both synchronously and asynchronously.
- Familiarity with, or a desire to learn, basic HTML skills for making small design updates to marketing sites (our stack includes GitHub, WordPress, Prismic, Marketo and a few others).
- Ability to concept storyboards for animation, or even do the animation yourself.
- Considerable time is spent at a desk using a computer.
- A few hours a week video calls for check-ins, updates and (optional) socializing.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and paid sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- 401K match
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunches, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening voluntarily Fall 2021), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successfully completing a background check and having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.