Outschool’s mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
Our business is growing explosively: 900,000+ learners have taken more than over 7M class hours. We’ve more than quadrupled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 118 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $130M since founding with most of that still in the bank. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative edtech company in the world and in the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
We’re committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need. In addition, Outschool has created an Educator Endowment Fund in appreciation for these teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
Our product and expertise have become central to many families, educators and organizations and will continue to provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their interests in 2021 and beyond.
Outschool is looking for our first Accounting Lead (Controller) to build and oversee our accounting and tax functions. You will be responsible for all of our accounting, AP/AR, audit, and tax functions while managing the relationship with our outsourced accounting team. You’ll work collaboratively with stakeholders across the company to envision and deliver on a roadmap for our financial infrastructure. This will include designing strategic plans for Outschool’s Accounting operations, and then executing those plans by building out the team, the systems, and the processes needed to ensure the financial health of Outschool as we continue to grow our team and scale our impact.
- Build out the company’s accounting infrastructure and foundational systems
- Work with an outsourced accounting firm to evaluate and enhance reporting, budgeting, AP/AR, financial controls, and other operational processes
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the accounting function at Outschool, including hiring, training, and developing team members
- Oversee all accounting-related workflows including general ledger, monthly close, internal and external reporting
- Produce GAAP financial statements, reports and forecasts for management, including the board of directors, to allow input into financial and business decisions
- Evaluate our accounting systems and guide the process for continuous improvement in the future
- Partner with our tax firm to ensure timely and complete tax filings
- Create and manage the annual budgeting process
- Lead audit management, including hiring auditing firm and ensuring successful completion of the annual audit
- Work with People Operations to manage payroll processes, and provide input and insight into compensation modeling and management
- Design and roll out accounting policies and procedures
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Experience building an accounting function and systems for a growth-stage startup
- Well versed in full-cycle accounting and GAAP requirements
- Experience building and leading teams, including in-house and outsourced
- Exceptional financial and data analysis skills.
- Experience reporting metrics and financials to management teams and boards, as well as building financial fluency into a startup organization
- Experience implementing and using financial software, including Quickbooks and Netsuite
- The highest level of integrity, comfortable managing confidential information
- CPA preferred but not required
- Strong quantitative analysis skills using Excel and Google sheets is a plus
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and a 401k that makes saving for retirement easier.
- Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established 501c3s, and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.