PlayStation (501+ Employees, 17% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Our Animation Department at Insomniac Games is growing and we are looking for an Animation Manager to join our team. As an Animation Manager you will be responsible for ensuring project quality and the well-being of team members by managing a group of Animators and Leads across multiple projects. The role provides a critical component of the studio’s mission to create games that have a positive and lasting impact on people’s lives by helping foster an environment of craft excellence, collaboration, and positivity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Supervises direct reports on the Animation team, and participates in strategy and decision-making as a member of the department’s leadership group
- Meets regularly with team members to mentor and offer experienced guidance, provide constructive feedback, conduct performance reviews, and facilitate the team’s best work
- Manages the career growth and development of direct reports
- Evaluates team members’ goals and objectives and ensures that department goals are being met
- Evaluates schedules in conjunction with pod leads and project management, ensures that teams deliver against project goals and pillars
- Advocates studio cultural values and fosters an environment of craft excellence and collaboration
- Assists the Department Head with project staffing, hiring, and onboarding
- Works with Department Head and other Managers to determine best practices and guide Leads in their implementation across all animation groups across all projects
- Fosters a safe work environment by ensuring all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace are addressed immediately
- Develops training opportunities to support the development of team members at the group or individual level
- Builds and maintains relationships with peers and other senior leaders to align project and departmental priorities
- Regularly plays games in development and reviews scripts to provide feedback and help identify opportunities for craft development
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises a team of animators and animation leads on various projects. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Eight plus years related experience and/or training/education; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Shipped a AAA game in an animator or manager role preferred
- Experience in a lead role preferred
- Expert knowledge of the principles of writing, performance, and design
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to present ideas clearly and work well within a large team environment
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches (scripts) and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficient with Final Draft and/or other screenwriting software
- Photoshop and Illustrator a plus
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.