BenchSci is a remote first organization. At this moment, we are welcoming applicants from Canada, the US and the UK for this position.
BenchSci’s vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world’s most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We’re a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
We are looking for axa0Bioinformatics Engineerxa0to join our growing BenchSci Bioinformatics team! Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will play a key role in improving how we incorporate public life science data into our AI systems, such as from genomic and proteomic databases, and from BioBank data. You will work closely with your colleagues in Bioinformatics and across the organization with teams in Science and Engineering, collaborating on projects that deliver real impact to the work of our scientific community, and ultimately life science research.
What you will be doing:
- Designing and implementing solutions to integrate external (public) bioinformatics data into our enterprise knowledge graph
- Researching databases to integrate into Benchsci’s internal ontologies and helping grow those ontologies to answer questions, improve search, and provide a data integration layer
- Writing ETL pipelines for ingestion and normalization of raw databases
- Coming up with processes to make use of Benchsci’s sequence data
- Work closely with Engineering experts in areas such as Data and Machine Learning to support the development of novel data-drivenxa0approaches
- Liaising with the Science and Product Teams, and (potentially) customers and external experts to define requirements that impact future bioinformatics projects
You will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a computational or life science area
- Experience with test-driven development in Python
- Experience with SQL and graph databases
- Experience using Github as a version control repository
- Experience with common bioinformatics tools such as BLAST and ClustalW
- You have a constant desire to grow and develop
- You have strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- A team player who strives to see teammates succeed together
Nice to have:
- Experience with data processing frameworks
- Experience with GCP (GCS, BigQuery, DataFlow, Cloudbuild)
- Experience with Apache Beam
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
Benefits and Perks:
An engaging remote-first culture
A competitive compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
Comprehensive health and dental benefits
Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD (or equivalent in your country’s currency) for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
Three weeks of vacation plus an additional day for every completed year
Unlimited flex time to use toward sick days, personal days, religious holidays, birthdays and appointments
Additional time-off: 2 weeks for Winter Holidays, every other Friday in July and August, your birthday, and more!
Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
A $2000 CAD (or equivalent in your country’s currency) Annual Learning & Development budget
A $1000 CAD (or equivalent in your country’s currency) work from home allowance to make your home setup perfect for you
A lifestyle spending account for employees to receive reimbursement for eligible expenses related to wellness, lifestyle and productivity $2500 CADxa0 (or equivalent in your country’s currency) per year
At BenchSci, we’re committed to cultivating an inspiring, inclusive, and equitable work environment for high performing, ego-free, self-starting individuals with a growth mindset, who enjoy the challenge of solving hard problems. We recognize that everyone here is a person first and an employee second. We want people to feel cared for and supported to bring the best versions of themselves to work and help the company achieve its mission. We believe culture is critical to success and invest accordingly.
We live and promote our FASTT values of Focused, Advancement with Speed, Tenacity, and Transparency. We work hard to maintain an engaging, supportive environment where everyone can do their best work. To learn more, read our culture deck.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. To learn more, read about our DEI initiatives.
BenchSci provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.