Ness (11-50 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Who We Are
Ness is an early-stage startup at the unique intersection of fintech and healthcare. We’re on a mission to build a world where everyone can afford to get and stay healthy.
We’re fresh off a $15.5M seed round and funded by some of the most iconic operators and entrepreneurs in the space (e.g. Sweetgreen, Headspace, One Medical, Thrive Market).
Started by the former CEO & Founder of Greatist (acquired by Healthline in 2019), we’re building an AmEx-like credit card for health. We’ve got enormous ambitions to flip healthcare on its head through an alternative to health insurance that rewards consumers for the right behaviors and brings down the cost of healthcare.
What Impact You Can Make
As a brand designer on our Design team, you’ll be crafting a revolutionary health and finance brand that has the potential to change healthcare forever.
In this role, you’ll shape Ness’s look and feel across brand, marketing, and product while tackling experiences that span digital, print, and video.
This role sits within the Design team, under the Experience pillar.
You May Be The Ideal Candidate If You
If you don’t meet 100% of the below qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. We take a holistic approach to evaluating talent for our team.
- Have 4-5 years of experience in brand design at a creative agency or in-house brand team.
- Have a design portfolio that showcases your eye for good design and attention to detail.
- Are highly collaborative in a remote-first environment and enjoy sharing work early and often.
- Are comfortable with the ambiguity and pace that comes with an early-stage startup.
- Are a wizard in Adobe Creative Suite and Figma (bonus points for motion design or illustration).
- Are a self-starter—there’s always something you want to do, learn, and grow in as a designer.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related visual communication field.
Things You Might Do
- Drive our brand vision forward and, with careful hands, shape it into something truly special.
- Work closely with the Design and Marketing teams to realize the Ness Brand through campaigns, viral stunts, product launches, and content initiatives.
- Evolve our visual aesthetic through constant experimentation, staying ahead of the curve, not behind it.
- Elevate the look and feel of everything we do by bringing a level of polish and Ness magic into everything we ship.
- Be the champion for the brand both internally and externally.
Our Core Values
We aren’t a family, we’re an incredible team. At Ness, our core values are the source of our POWER.
✏️ Pencil It In
We move fast, try new things fearlessly, think differently, and learn from our mistakes.
We’re all on the same team, have short memories, plus can “disagree and commit.”
We value clear, rigorous thought, give regular feedback, and we’re always prepared.
Embrace Your Mythical Creature
Our differences make us special. Come as you are (but no trolls, please!)
Right Way To Win (Not The Easy Way)
We believe in doing well AND doing good.
How We Hire
First, we don’t discriminate. We know from experience that a more diverse and inclusive team leads to bigger impact and success.
1. First Hello
You’ll talk to our CXO & Co-Founder, Kenneth for 15-30 minutes. There’s nothing to prepare in advance.
First, we want to figure out if you’ve got the right experience for this position and if working at Ness is a fit for you and us. We’ll have reviewed your portfolio in detail, so this discussion will be mostly a “behavioral” interview focused on what you’ve done before. We want to build conviction that you’ll succeed in this job the same way you’ve succeeded in the past.
Then, you’ll have time to ask us anything! (Well, mostly anything.)
2. The Jam Sesh
After this, we’ll schedule a design jam with Kenneth and potentially other Ness team members. Why? We believe collaboration is a key skill for designers in a remote-first company—and we want a chance to see you in action. We’ll share more details about this when we get there!
3. Portfolio Review
Next, you’ll have a chance to share 2-3 of your past projects and go deep on them. Here, we’re trying to understand your approach to design projects and see your craft in detail. We also want to learn how you frame the problem, how you articulate your process and decisions, and what explorations you considered prior to arriving at the final solution.
4. Meet the Team
You’ll meet other team members via a series of 30-60 minute 1:1’s including our CEO & Founder, Derek. Here, we want to explore if we’re a good fit for each other. We also want to learn what brings out the best in you and what’s next. We want to be confident Ness can offer the environment (culture, responsibility, org structure, etc.) that’s led you to the most professional success so far.
You’ll have time to ask questions, too!
Oh—and, with your help, we’ll reach out to folks you’ve worked with in the past. We’re usually pretty far along here, so this is mostly about learning from outside perspectives about how to manage and empower you best.
6. The Job Offer
Got this far? That means you’re in. Expect a personal call from Kenneth or Derek and welcome to the team!
No recruiters or agencies, please. Thanks!