The Trevor Project (501+ Employees, 145% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
The Chief Strategy & Performance Officer leads organizational performance; data and analytics; special projects; and strategic planning, goal-setting, and execution. The Chief Strategy & Performance Officer will ensure that the organization is working effectively and collaboratively to achieve its strategic plan, run the annual goal-setting process, and oversee the central data reporting function that monitors and communicates progress against the multi-year plan and annual goals. This individual’s team will also serve as an in-house consultant to departments on key questions around strategic planning and execution.
Overseeing a team of approximately 20 staff, this individual will also guide significant big-picture organizational performance and make recommendations on critical strategic decisions to ensure The Trevor Project delivers on its ambitious strategic plan to save LGBTQ young lives.
Who you are
- Big picture thinker. You’re someone who thinks strategically. You love to brainstorm and come up with big bold ideas. You look at the way things are and then imagine 20 ways they can be improved.
- Collaborative. You know the best results come from teamwork, and can work closely with all parts of a growing organization, regardless of department or role.
- Inspiring. You’re a leader that brings incredible people along with you. Whether to internal stakeholders or external partners, you can articulate a clear vision and how everyone can play important roles in pursuing Trevor’s mission.
- Action-oriented. You know how to get things done. You move quickly and smartly. You love to set challenging goals and develop plans to achieve them.
- Organized and efficient. You know how to manage a large number of priorities across multiple teams and initiatives, using your time and the time of others effectively. You know that results take more than good strategy to succeed.
- Communicator. You can communicate clearly and concisely. You are an excellent listener and synthesizer, able to articulate the views of others in addition to your own perspectives and rationale.
- Analytical. Beyond being able to crunch data and present your findings, you can lead others in analytical processes and ensure their work effectively includes all key components of an analysis. In sum, you’re a data leader and a data mentor.
- Execution-minded. You understand that a strategy needs to be implementable and can think through the execution implications of strategic decisions.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you’ll do
- Serve as a key advisor and thought partner to The Trevor Project’s executive team, particular the COO and CEO, on all aspects of the organization’s life-saving work.
- Lead the execution of the organization’s multi-year strategic planning process, partnering closely with the CEO and COO, as well as staff across departments.
- Oversee the annual goal-setting process, working closely with staff across the organization to set quarterly goals that will enable The Trevor Project to achieve its strategic plan.
- Monitor and report on progress against the strategic plan as well as quarterly and annual goals, overseeing the central organizational hub for objective metrics and data reporting.
- Ensure the organization delivers on its strategic plan by identifying potential setbacks and strategically deploying the appropriate support to get back on track.
- Serve as the organization’s primary champion for the strategic plan and annual goal setting process, providing clarity across the board in order to both garner excitement and ensure teams are set up for success.
- Ensure all departments within the organization are coordinated in pursuing the strategic plan, particularly around critical strategic initiatives that involve multiple departments.
- Serve as an in-house consultant for departments across the organization regarding key questions around departmental strategic planning and execution.
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet reimbursement and a reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Applications without cover letters will not be considered; please use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the Chief Strategy & Performance Officer at The Trevor Project.