Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 500,000 people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers make millions of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.” – Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
“Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.” – Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. It respects readers’ time, their intelligence, and their trust. It helps us make sense of and change the culture we live in. At Substack, we’re building a business model that enables great writing to thrive. Learn more about our opportunity and mission.
We are a small but growing team, and there is more to build than we could ever imagine. That’s why we need you. We believe that engineering is in service to the community of writers and readers on Substack: we’re successful when they’re successful.
We aim to take pragmatic approaches to problem solving while shipping high-quality products that allow the writing on Substack to take the spotlight.
Every person at the company participates in customer support. We do this to build empathy with our users and enable us to build better products.
We believe that a diverse team will help us build a product that best serves the needs of a wildly diverse ecosystem of writers. So whatever your background or perspective, we’d welcome your input to help build the best possible version of Substack.
Community at Substack
Substack’s Community team is responsible for accelerating and celebrating emerging writers. We produce features for Substack’s own channels, use our platforms to amplify writer workshops and meetups, and make sure independent writers have the information they need to succeed on Substack.
We are looking for a Storytelling Lead to foster communities of writers covering a variety of categories (e.g. sports, music, food) on Substack. This person should have a depth of expertise working with writers and understanding writing culture, particularly the journey faced by today’s emerging talent. This person should also have a desire to discover remarkable writers on Substack, talent for producing interviews and educational material, and experience building communities online. The position will be remote.
- Discover emerging writers on Substack
- Create new opportunities to highlight writers on Substack’s blog and podcast
- Surface and inspire trends on Substack
- Work cross-functionally with our partnerships and events team to bring the community lens and presence to Substack’s big investments
- Act as an internal spokesperson on emerging writer success on Substack
- 5+ years’ experience in digital media and/or community management
- Understanding of the writing ecosystem, including writers, platforms, and expectations
- Strong writing and editing background (clips required)
- Experience sourcing stories online and discovering compelling creators on a platform
- Fluency with podcast production
- Experience evaluating applications and submissions
- Proven ability to collaborate on high-profile cross-functional projects with several key internal and external stakeholders
- Comfort with ambiguity and a fast-paced digital environment
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We’re seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we’d love to meet you.