Syllable (51-200 Employees, 68% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Syllable is a technology company based in Sunnyvale, California, leveraging AI and ML to create natural, multimodality support for patients to get things done efficiently across medical practices and hospitals. Our solutions meaningfully improve patients’ pre- and post-clinic visit experiences by harnessing technology that can connect them to what they need the most with less wasted time and energy.
In 2021, Syllable interacted with 39.7M Americans in text and voice, improving their access to primary care, specialty referrals, vaccinations, and general practice information. Syllable’s customers include Parkview Healthcare, Shannon Healthcare, NewYork-Presbyterian, Weill Cornell Ambulatory Care Network, Houston Methodist, and Mass General-Brigham. Syllable was also recognized as a most promising startup in healthcare for 2022 by CB Insights, picked as a leader in the private market from a pool of 7,000 companies.
Simplify and enhance everyday interactions between patients and care providers.
Care should begin from the moment an individual reaches out for information, or to schedule an appointment, long before they arrive at the clinic. Great service can turn one patient from feeling like a number to feeling truly cared for. We exist to help health systems improve the patient experience.
Syllable is a user-centric, product-focused company delivering end-to-end healthcare solutions that meaningfully improve patient journeys. As a Conversation Designer, you’ll leverage your knowledge of human communication to lead, define, and drive seamless and natural interactions for existing and upcoming Patient Assistant experiences across various device surfaces. You’ll work on multiple projects simultaneously, feel comfortable working with multiple stakeholders, and be able to think strategically when reviewing design work and providing feedback. You’ll join a talented, multidisciplinary UX team and partner with them to deliver user experiences that will set the standard in the healthcare industry.
- Produce user and logic flows, wireframes, prototypes, and detailed, comprehensive voice and multimodal design specifications
- Confidently defend design rationale used to create solutions in frequent design reviews
- Draw on depth of experience, but initiate research and testing efforts as needed by working closely with UX researchers
- Evaluate usability and audio consistency, and conduct analyses of real usage data to inform Voice UX efforts
- Drive root cause analyses to respond to Voice UX performance issues
- Distill feedback from multiple stakeholders and teams to iterate on design
- Start simple while not losing sight of the long-term vision
- Thrive in a nimble, start-up environment
You must meet these minimum qualifications to be considered:
- 2+ years experience in human-computer interaction design in voice or multimodal speech interfaces.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Linguistics, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Demonstrated experience designing voice and/or multi-modal applications
- Portfolio highlighting conversational flows and designs
Having as many of these specific qualifications is a plus, but transferable skills/experiences may be equally valuable:
- 4 – 6 years of relevant industry experience as a multimodal designer
- Experience with trust, safety, privacy, and security best practices
- Experience with localization and accessibility best practices
- Background in script writing, creative writing, or game design is a plus
- Ability to prototype voice user experiences with readily available tools
- Ability to write tools to determine patterns in usage data
- Familiarity with user experience research principles and practices
- Ability to collaborate and influence (with or without formal authority) engineering, design, and product management teams
- Unwavering attention to detail with an acute awareness that everything counts
The Syllable team comprises healthcare and technology experts that are passionate about product design, engineering, and operational excellence. Our investors include OakHC/FT, Section 32 and Verily/Alphabet. We are lifelong learners, ending each day together with the question: “What did we learn today and what can we do better?” We show up with humility and a collaborative spirit every day, because we are tackling an important yet challenging problem in healthcare that requires talent and grit.
We offer our employees competitive salary and equity and the following benefits:
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance comparable to major technology companies
- 100% reimbursed mental health benefit
- 15 vacation days plus 10 company holidays
- Career coaching for every employee