Trail of Bits (51-200 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
About Trail of BitsTrail of Bits helps secure the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.As a cybersecurity research and consulting firm, we serve clients in the defense, tech, finance, and blockchain industries. We help with their most difficult security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques to advance the state of practice, and reviewing the security of the latest available technology products before they hit the market.Our team consumes, produces, and presents research as a natural part of doing business. When we make new discoveries or developments, we strive to share our knowledge and release our tools as open-source. It’s a practice that’s earned us industry accolades and helped contribute to our double-digit bottom-line growth.Role Trail of Bits is seeking a corporate counsel to provide our company with legal guidance, manage our legal risks, and help ensure we adhere to the contractual requirements of our clients. You will be our first in-house attorney, report to our VP of Operations, and work collaboratively with Professional Services on client contracts, People Operations on employment law matters, and our outside counsel on more complex projects. We expect this role will come with predictability. This is an opportunity to advise our company proactively, make recommendations on systems, processes, and risk management, and execute these plans and procedures.In addition to the internal focus on contracts, we are looking for an attorney who can further develop our leadership on US and international cybersecurity policy. This might include outreach to the CFTC, FTC, Department of Commerce, or Tech:NYC, participation in industry efforts establishing best practices in software security, risk assessment, or governance, or contributions to policy papers from think tanks, non-profits, or academic institutions. Trail of Bits has a long history of such contributions, and we’re looking for a candidate that could help support and formalize these efforts.
- Regularly work with Project Managers and clients to review and revise customer Master Services Agreements (MSA) and client contracts at all stages of projects
- Consult with outside counsel on complex projects
- Review and revise internal policies, rules and regulations and procedures related to employment compliance
- Interpret and implement applicable international, state and federal laws, rules, and policies as they relate to cybersecurity and Trail of Bits; including new and updated rulings
- Anticipate, identify and analyze legal concerns and provide guidance for resolution
- Build a deep understanding of our business and industry to preempt future legal and compliance issues from arising
- Maintain a library of all agreements and contracts
- Provide ad hoc legal advice, counsel, and representation for employees and customers
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree and 5 years as a practicing attorney
- Experience in corporate and commercial law, preferably within the security industry
- Experience counseling on cybersecurity legal issues, including incident response, a plus
- Experience with data law, cyber security policy, or CIPT, CIPP/US, or CIPP/E a plus
- Sound business judgment, and flexibility/adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters, conflicting deadlines, and new areas of expertise as business needs change
- Ability to provide expert advice to the company and senior management on legal, regulatory, and risk matters in a business-centric and collaborative manner
- An exceptional communicator and confident negotiator with exceptional written and verbal communication skills and aptitude to influence others and explain complex concepts to non-lawyer team members
- A startup mentality with a bias to action and the ability to flex in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience working remotely. Strong personal organizational skills and a love for self-time management.
- Keen attention to detail and organization with strategic thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Calm under pressure, work independently, and handle multiple assignments simultaneously while meeting time-sensitive deadlines
- Must live in the United States
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We’re at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans including no-monthly-premium options supporting individuals and families through Justworks.
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, free Citi Bike membership, access to a HealthAdvocate, a healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and free memberships to One Medical and Talkspace.
- 14 paid company holidays and four weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO).
- 3-4 months paid parental leave.
- 401k with 5% company matching through Betterment.
- Annual charitable donation matching up to $2,000.
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance.
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren.
Dedication to diversity, equity & inclusionTrail of Bits is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace where our employees can thrive and be themselves! We welcome all persons into our community. We embrace the diversity of gender, gender identity or expression, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, physical and mental disabilities, medical condition, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, marital status, family care or medical leave status, military or veteran status, or perceived membership in any of these groups.