Hala Systems is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world’s toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
Hala is seeking an experienced Data Engineer who will report directly to our Software Architect and work closely with members of both the Engineering and AI & Analytics teams. The main responsibilities include designing and developing data pipelines and infrastructures to provide the Analytics and Engineering team necessary architecture to support project and team requirements. As the first Data Engineer on the team, you will have the opportunity to define and expand the role, playing an integral part in the continued development of engineering and data science at Hala.
This position is open to remote candidates based in locations operating on Eastern and Central Time zones with a salary range of $100,000–$115,000 per year. Applications will be accepted until July 2, 2021.
What you’ll do:
- Work with technical teams to steer the development and maintenance of Hala’s data infrastructure.
- Collaborate with Hala’s technical teams to ensure data is accessible for modeling and user-facing applications.
- Lead the development of better data warehousing solutions, including developing requirements with the AI & Analytics and Software teams.
- Act as the subject matter expert on data systems for the Software team to include the creation of documentation and the education of team members.
- Optimize data processing and storage solutions based on team and project requirements.
- Contribute to Hala’s data governance initiatives relating to security, privacy, and the ethical use of data.
Who you are:
- Someone who respects all voices and feels comfortable being on and participating in a team thatchallenges entrenched power dynamics.
- A creative problem solver.
- A collaborative team player with experience working in a self-directed, autonomous fashion.
- A strong communicator in both verbal and written forms, who recognizes the importance of documentation.
- A values-driven, trustworthy and honest person with a passion for helping people in need.
- Interested in shaping team culture, development processes, strategies, and the long-term growth of our company.
What you have:
- Several years experience creating and maintaining data pipelines, infrastructure and storage systems.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases, including design, query optimization, and maintenance.
- Experience with streaming architectures and patterns, including real-time data processing in conjunction with event/data lakes.
- Experience building robust data entry, transformation, and loading pipelines for disparate data types.
- Experience creating deployment pipelines through infrastructure as code and CI/CD tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge (training, personal projects, work experience, etc.) of using AWS products commonly used for storing and accessing data.
- Strong knowledge of one or more of the following (or related) products: Athena, RDS, Glue, Redshift, Elasticsearch and/or DynamoDB.
- Prior experience or desire to learn the AWS product ecosystem.
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally, cross-functionally and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams on multiple and simultaneous projects.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English.
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage by July 9. You should expect a phone screen, followed by several interviews with team members and the supervisor for this role, concluding with the opportunity to speak with both of our co-founders. Prior to the final interview, we will also request references that attest to your previous experience, work ethic, and values.
You will receive a confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.
What Hala Offers You
∙ Life-saving, socially impactful work.
∙ Competitive salaries.
∙ Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it. All staff take a minimum of 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2 week vacation.
∙ Comprehensive, world-wide healthcare, dental and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost to you.
∙ Paid parental leave.
∙ Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
∙ Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
∙ Relocation assistance for you, your family, and your pets for eligible positions.
∙ A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and a thriving workplace culture.
∙ Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.