Nascent.xyz (1-10 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Nascent is a globally distributed team of crypto-native builders and investors pursuing compelling opportunities in crypto & DeFi. We back promising people & ideas that have the potential to become category-defining companies & protocols. Founded in 2020, we’ve invested in 50+ early-stage ventures and continue to stay in the trenches with them for the long haul, supporting engineering, strategy, mechanism design, and more. Building from a base of permanent capital, we deploy a sizable liquid portfolio utilizing a range of strategies that ensure we are among the most active users of the open financial system we are helping to build.
As the Data Engineering Lead you’ll be responsible for building and maintaining the data infrastructure and pipelines for our liquid and investing activities. From building ETLs to optimizing our research and transaction infrastructure, this role will be responsible for all of Nascent’s Data Engineering activities. You will drive the strategy and execution of data acquisition to enable internal research and externally facing data projects in addition to serving as a key partner to create meaningful insights across our many data intensive activities.
The responsibilities defined here are barely scratching the surface of the opportunity—as the Data Engineer Lead you’ll find new ways to add value to the firm and redefine your core role. As a fast-moving crypto-native firm, we have a lot of activities and both ingest and create a lot of data—your role is to identify, prioritize, and execute on the highest-value data-related activities for the firm.
- Lead the development and maintenance of data infrastructure and pipelines
- Serve as a key partner to carve out and deliver internal data projects to improve liquid trading and investing performance
- Stay at the forefront of changing data landscape in crypto and lead initiatives to build differentiating data that drives insights and capabilities
- Streamline the software deployment process and ensure automation and continuous integration best practices are in place
- Own deployment and operation of our cloud (AWS) data infrastructure and develop best practices for update and security guidelines. Key handling, access handling, etc…
- Monitor infrastructure and improve system performance by identifying problems and recommending changes
- You will mentor, pair, share learnings and help others around you to grow
- You thrive in less structured environments and are at your best when driving and delivering results with the freedom to build and execute your own plan
- You are as excited by starting a project as completing, maintaining and continually optimizing it
- You find the plethora of opportunities to leverage data to drive value for the firm exciting versus overwhelming
- Hands-on experience from beginning to end of a shipped working product (i.e., you’re an experienced builder)
- Substantive experience building and maintaining enterprise data systems, ETL frameworks, & pipelines
- Strong Python and SQL skills
- Familiarity with APIs (REST, Websockets, etc)
- Experience beyond testing (e.g. quality processes, verification & validation)
- Experience in configuring and managing cloud infrastructure (preferred AWS)
Nice to Haves
- Data visualization, health dashboards, alerting, monitoring
- Experience in other programming languages
Our Team & Culture
At Nascent, we are an interdisciplinary team of investors, builders & creators, capable of achieving more together than we can as individuals. We offer the opportunity to contribute to building the future global economic system with a world-class team and culture that pairs the freedom to explore, experiment & play with a competitive drive to win. We invest in our people by providing the autonomy to build, coupled with accountability & honest feedback to help learn, grow, perform & win. We’re a fully distributed team that understands the value of in-person time—we host two team retreats per year and encourage team members to come together for more frequent in-person work.
Principles that drive our team & work
- Build for the long term
- Align incentives
- Be nimble
- Compete to win
- Explore, experiment, play
- Always be building
- Give and embrace real feedback
What We Offer
At Nascent, we offer a competitive total compensation package heavily weighted toward bonus, ensuring that when we perform at our best and the firm wins we all win.
- Fully remote and distributed working environment
- Comprehensive health benefits package including dental, vision, and life
- Retirement plan matching contributions
- Open vacation policy as well as flexible work hours and location
- Access to our internal performance coaching and support for continuing your skills development, developing your industry knowledge and achieving your career and personal development goals
- Team activities and bi-annual in-person team retreats
- Access the team’s personal / executive assistant
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity and differences of perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status, inclusive of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.