March of Dimes (501+ Employees, 0% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
March of Dimes leads the fight for the health of all moms and babies. We are advocating for policies to protect them. We are working to radically improve the health care they receive. We are pioneering research to find solutions. We are empowering families with programs, knowledge and tools to have healthier pregnancies. By uniting communities, we are building a brighter future for us all.
We are dedicated to hiring a diverse workforce that fosters opportunities for personal and professional development. We provide a collaborative and supportive environment built upon our fundamental core principles where each employee is valued. Join us in the fight for healthy moms and strong babies.
This position will provide technical support and assistance to our maternal and infant health and collective impact initiatives throughout the country. Skills and competencies include: ability to coach a diverse set of staff in different geographic areas throughout the country; ability to apply an anti-racist lens to this highly adaptive work; the ideal candidate would have experience applying Results Based Accountably and Results Based Facilitation. Additionally, experience with community organizing and mobilization, community engagement, and social justice organizing is preferred.
Technical Assistance and Support is a process whereby a transfer of skills, competencies, tools and information is provided to our place-based staff in order to assist with adaptive change management needs. This includes strategic planning, training and development and the ability to assess gaps, barriers, and challenges and provide solutions. The result from technical assistance and support is to help the place-based collaborative or market team to leverage resources, increase partnerships, and mobilize and center community in order to reach new objectives effectively.
- Develop Relationships and Teamwork
- Cultivate and develop a working relationship with all market teams within the state or region. Understand market priorities and provide guidance on MIH programs and initiatives to ensure alignment with national strategic plan.
- Regularly communicate with Market Impact leadership on the status of MIH initiatives taking place across the state/regions. Facilitate intra and interstate sharing of best practices.
- Develop continuous communication mechanisms with all assigned work and align and coordinate across departments in order to support market teams.
- Technical Assistance and Support: Ensure the delivery of technical assistance and support to MOD field-facing staff in the markets on matters relating to collaboration,, Results Based Accountability and Results Based Facilitation. Provide coaching and support to markets with maternal and infant health initiatives and help scale initiatives that focus on reducing pre-term births and maternal mortality and morbidity by increasing maternal and infant health equity; allowing for local deployment of our national programs that will help drive revenue and the mobilization of donors, advocates, and volunteers. Includes:
- Assessing gaps, barriers, and needs and identifying potential responses to address these issues;
- Develop a strategic plan or common agenda for long-term change and be able to develop and create an innovative approach to emerging complex issues.
- Provides support to solve adaptive challenges and objectives and achieve them.
- Lead development and implementation of training and/or facilitated sessions as needed.
- Writing and content editing is a core component of work products.
- Maternal and Infant Health: In partnership with Market Impact staff, develop strategies with and provide technical assistance as the MIH subject matter expert to the state/region on maternal and child health programs and initiatives to ensure successful implementation of the programs and initiatives. Support development of integrated plans.
- Stay abreast of best practices taking place and share with the markets in the state/regions.
- Assist market team with data and analysis to determine and inform initiatives to implement.
- Provide guidance on performance metrics for the MCH strategies.
- Subject Matter Expertise: Provide guidance and direction to MIH and collective impact market teams to ensure the execution of mission department strategic and operational objectives. Includes execution of initiative in support of the organization’s priorities to reduce preterm birth, infant mortality and maternal mortality & morbidity. Uses Results Based Accountability, Results Based Facilitation and an anti-racist lens to conduct work. Including competencies such as:
- Embody adaptive leadership and establish, facilitate, and execute effective and open communication with staff.
- Adhere to March of Dimes National strategic plan as well as state level strategic alignment plan.
- Model results based leadership and execute and facilitate results based meetings.
- Model anti-racist behaviors and practices, center community voice and be a systems thinker.
- Utilize data-based decision making.
- Maintain understanding of current implementation challenges and develop solutions to address them.
- Provide direction and support to MOD field-facing staff and partner organizations to align work to the common agenda.
- Strategic Planning, Metrics and Data Collection and Reporting
- Lead development and implementation of our results-based strategic planning process which includes: facilitation of strategic planning sessions with states, developing additional coaching modules as needed and implementing an ongoing coaching process throughout the year.
- Assist in building infrastructure needed to implement an internal data measurement system to track shared results across site locations and the National Office using a results-based scorecard.
- Oversee the build and implementation of a shared measurement system that will track common outcomes and indicators and use results to inform continuous quality improvement in site locations (state, city, county).
- Provide templates and tools for site locations to create or manage creation of annual report and quarterly and annual summary reports of initiative progress for Steering Committee, March of Dimes National Office, and external audiences.
- Ensure that data is collected, entered, analyzed and communicated effectively.
- Operational Management: Present at internal and external national, state and local level events (trainings, media briefings/interviews, conferences, workshops and other events) that introduce people to March of Dimes collective impact backbone work. Build and maintain relationships with state and federal agencies and other cross-sector partner organizations.
- Revenue Development:
- Develop funding relationships with state government entities, philanthropy, corporations and foundations to obtain external grant funding to support mission impact.
- Participate in the development of new revenue generating proposals to support Mission work; and participate in pitch proposal meetings as necessary. Contribute to, review and approve as needed national, state and local level proposals submitted to government agencies, foundation and corporate organizations to reach the revenue goals for the MOD.
- Learning and Professional Development: Complete required training as outlined by Human Resources throughout the year and leverage opportunities for enhanced leadership and growth
- Other Duties:
- Perform other duties from time to time in order to ensure the attainment of goals.
- 15% of time is traveling.
- 5-10 years’ experience
- Master’s degree (specialized area: Political Science, Public Health, Anthropology, Sociology, Business or Policy related field)
- Strategic Planning, Program Planning and Evaluation, Training, Grants Writing and Management, Budget Management) Results Based Accountability, Results Based Facilitation and Leadership
- Experience in a nonprofit environment
- Detail-oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership/management skills with the ability to motivate staff and lead change
- Experience in mobilizing community using clear measurable goals
- Experience leading community change efforts
- Results Oriented-able to pivot to focused action that contributes to improving the result.
- Equity-able to have and hold discussions, and take action, regarding the role of racism, poverty and sexism in healthcare and community conditions.
- Collective Action-ability to work with key stakeholders and leaders to make decisions and take action around a shared result
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proven track record building internal and external relationships
- Understanding of maternal and child health and health systems issues
- Ability to organize and monitor multiple levels of details related to multiple customers
- Competency as a trainer of adult learners-excellent presentation skills, interpersonal skills, ability to facilitate groups of adult trainees
- Courses and training that are preferred but not required include: substantial exposure to Results Based Accountability training or certification (40+ hours), training or exposure to Results Based Facilitation
- Experience with community organizing and mobilization, community engagement, and social justice organizing preferred
- Analytical skills; high level organization skills; interpersonal skills; ability to manage multiple projects and customers simultaneously; ability to meet deadline; adaptive capacity, integrity and accountability; problem solving; excellent writing and oral communication skills, ability to function as a trainer for adults.
March of Dimes provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.