Propel (51-200 Employees, 212% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Propel builds software dedicated to helping low-income Americans improve their financial health.
With an HQ office in Brooklyn, we’re a distributed team. Please apply regardless of your location!)
At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 4 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
Our people – team members and customers – are the most important piece of our business. As Director of Customer Support, you will join the Debit Operations team in this critical new role. As an early stage startup that is on the cusp of unprecedented growth, you’ll be joining at the ground floor. You’ll roll up your sleeves alongside your team members, while also building strategically for the future.
Your focus will be to craft and execute an exceptional customer experience to drive growing value to both our customers and our business. You will be responsible for an excellent customer support business unit that balances the goals of customer experience, agent engagement, and process adherence.
With your leadership, Propel will become reputable for incredible care with agents who are outstandingly respectful, eager to serve, and creative problem solvers. Customers will look at Propel as a company they can trust because of the competence and quality of our customer service delivery. You’ll encourage the team to be innovative, and together we’ll create a new bar for how lower-income Americans are serviced for their financial products. As the team leader, you will articulate the vision for your team and build an environment that enables your team to execute – finding the win between employee and customer happiness.
How You’ll Contribute to the Team
Lead An Exceptional Customer Support Team
- Immediately step in to lead an offshore 100+ CX agent team, ensuring the smooth flow of information and knowledge sharing as well as ongoing learning of successful methodologies.
- Foster strong collaboration within the team and with other internal company partners.
- Build and lead an internal team of direct reports (~3-10 new hires over time).
- Invest in your team members’ individual growth, training, and ongoing learning.
Drive Customer Support Outcomes
- Center our customers and their needs at the forefront of outcomes and decisions.
- Develop, disseminate, and execute on short and long term CX strategies along with coinciding key outcomes with focus on rapid scaling.
- Balance speed and rigor while also building sustainable systems and processes.
- Build accountability for quantitative metrics throughout the CX organization.
Build a Data-Inspired and Technology Enabled Customer Support Organization
- Identify ways to improve efficiencies throughout CX organization by using qualitative observations and quantitative analysis, redesigning current processes, and establishing new systems and ways of collaboration.
- Establish a system for tracking and forecasting metrics and create cadence for ongoing review and assessment.
- Regularly share team/individual results – celebrating successes, mistakes, learnings, and metrics.
Sound Like You? Do you have…
- 6+ years experience working on customer experience issues, 2 or more of which spent leading large support teams
- an ability to inspire and direct large groups of people to achieve KPIs and perform at their best
- expertise in contact center metrics, telephony technology, and CRM systems
- an obsession with customers and customers’ experiences
- excitement to roll up your sleeves, to be curious to experiment, and to learn together
- excellent leadership skills and an ability to build a high-trust, high-morale environment for your team
- strong relationship building skills with a talent of finding mutual paths forward with peers and external partners
- a comfortability with a high level of autonomy, fast paced decision making, and ability to creatively solve complex problems
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 2+ years experience within financial services, financial technology, or related industry
- experience collaborating with a BPO vendor
- experience with an offshore CX team
- An opportunity to make an immediate impact and a strong shared sense of mission
- The chance to contribute to the critical CX function at a fast-growing consumer software company
- A get-stuff-done, fun, and caring culture
- A holistic compensation package including equity and excellent benefits
- A distributed team with teammates across 11 (and counting!) states
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage anyone interested to apply. We especially encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform key job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.