Klaviyo (501+ Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying.
Klaviyo is seeking to hire a Director of Technical Accounting & Financial Reporting, to join its fast-growing accounting team. This role will be a significant contributor to the vision and overall success of the accounting department. As the subject matter expert for US GAAP, you will partner closely with our finance, legal and business teams to provide them with timely accounting guidance that will allow them to drive the business forward. You will have the opportunity to advise on a broad range of business issues and continually improve our financial and operational processes. The ideal candidate is an expert in US GAAP and technical accounting and will have experience leading the technical accounting activities of a pre-IPO company as it embarks on its journey from private to public, including preparation of applicable financial statements. This is a newly created role and reports to the Corporate Controller.
How You’ll Make a Difference:
- Ensure that company financial reports are prepared in compliance with US GAAP
- Oversee global financial reporting and proactively identify, research, evaluate, and document technical accounting implications of complex or non-standard transactions (e.g. acquisitions, restructuring, goodwill impairment, segment reporting, R&D classification, revenue recognition, debt modification, equity accounting)
- Lead the planning, coordination, and execution of technical projects, including adoption of new accounting standards/pronouncements, and provide training to the organization
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting, consolidation and general ledger structure of the Company and work to streamline and standardize where possible
- Prepare US GAAP compliant financial statements, footnote disclosures, and other financial reporting documentation, review of financial statements (e.g., cash flow statement), and preparation and review of GAAP checklists for quarterly/year-end close
- Develop, document and maintain accounting policies, including updating or developing new policies to ensure consistency and compliance with GAAP and other reporting requirements; Provide ongoing training of Company’s accounting policies
- Work closely with external auditors to drive timely accounting conclusions and disclosures. Act as a primary point of contact throughout the audit process for external/internal auditors and consultants on technical matters and financial reporting
- Participate in establishment of a solid control environment that will support our progression from private to public, working with internal audit, external audit and the business to ensure controls are designed and operating effectively
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of process improvements including automation within the ERP and other tools where possible, to simplify, standardize and streamline processes
- Assist in special projects, such as acquisitions, registration statements, debt offerings, other filings, etc. on an as needed basis
- Assist FP&A, Treasury, and Investor Relation functions with ad-hoc projects on an as needed basis
Who You Are:
- BS Degree in Accounting
- CPA (active) required
- Requires 10+ years of accounting experience. Persons with a combination of Big 4 public accounting and industry experience with financial consolidation/SEC reporting experience preferred
- Prior IPO experience preferred
- Exceptional knowledge of US GAAP across revenue recognition (ASC 606), capitalized commission (ASC 340), leases (ASC 842), stock-based compensation (ASC 718), business combinations (ASC 805), debt and equity (ASC 480) and SEC reporting requirements
- Experience with a financial reporting tools (i.e., Workiva) and XBRL tagging are preferred
- Superior organization skills, ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize, monitor workflow in meeting critical deadline and project timetables
- Excellent system and computer skills, with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, experience with Sage Intacct and/or NetSuite preferred
- Requires strong communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to work effectively with all levels and functions in the organization
- Must be able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Experience with large multi-national, SaaS corporations
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Excellent problem solving, communication, interpersonal, analytical and time management skills required
- Effective writing, presentation and communication skills
Get to Know Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a world-leading marketing automation platform dedicated to accelerating revenue and customer connection for online businesses. Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. The company’s hybrid customer-data and marketing-platform model allows companies to grow by fostering direct relationships with customers, without giving up their valuable data to popular big-tech ad platforms. Over 265,000 innovative companies like Unilever, Custom Ink, Living Proof and Huckberry sell more with Klaviyo. Learn more at www.klaviyo.com.
Klaviyo is committed to diversity and to a policy of equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.