Open Up Resources (51-200 Employees, 71% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Who We Are
Open Up Resources is a publisher of high-quality open educational resources in core content areas with a vision of providing teachers with the tools to engage students in liberating educational experiences. Ignite! Reading is a strategic initiative connected to Open Up Resources’ K-5 Bookworms Reading and Writing curriculum and is focused upon ensuring children in the K-2 grade band learn to read on time.
Ignite! Reading teaches kids how to read. Ignite! Reading’s mission is ensuring every child receives coherent foundational skills instruction grounded in the science of reading when they are in kindergarten and first grade so that every possible educational and life opportunity is accessible to them.
Today, 65% of students and 82% of low income students can’t read at grade level by the end of third grade. That’s when you are supposed to go from learning to read to reading to learn. It’s America’s number one education crisis and we know how to fix it.
Ignite! teaches kids to read by providing 15 minutes a day of 1:1 reading instruction over Zoom. We focus on the reading fundamentals (letters, phonics & sight words) kids need to master so they can decode a sentence. Our program accelerates reading progress 2.5-3x and we are disrupting how schools think about reading instruction.
The Director of Operations will own the operational vision, design and execution of the Ignite! Reading program. This role is responsible for ensuring the program successfully achieves the established operating KPIs as the program scales to serve 100,000 students over the next five years.
- Support with recruitment and onboarding of Ignite! Reading instructors
- Develop, manage and continually streamline Ignite!’s instructional logistics processes
- Develop, manage and continually streamline Ignite!’s customers/schools on-boarding processes
- Identify and integrate technology to improve the quality and cost effectiveness of the Ignite! Reading program
- Manage the Ignite! Customer Success team
- Build trusting relationships with the Ignite! Reading partners
- Develop, manage and iterate on the Ignite! Reading student data systems ,including data collection processes; support with reporting against programmatic KPIs
- Model and reinforce the values and culture of the organization
Our Director of Operations will:
- Be an ethical, high-integrity leader adept at building internal and external trusting relationships;
- Have 10+ years of program operations experience with responsibility for successfully achieving operating KPIs;
- Be a scrappy self-starter excited by the idea of acting autonomously on loosely defined challenges. You like to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get the job done;
- Demonstrate exceptional attention to detail and impeccable organizational skills, and an ability to manage multiple strategic projects while also ensuring the program operations function flawlessly.
- Excel at digging into details and numbers to identify improvement areas including a master at Excel;
- Thrive working in collaboration; you love working with others to achieve our common goals;
- Lead with extraordinary communications skills and the emotional intelligence to build relationships with key stakeholders;
- Preferably have experience working in K-12 schools within an operations or instructional role;
- Ideally have worked as an instructor, a tutor, or with a tutoring company;
- Preferred experience in a start-up environment;
- Ability to be self-managing and flexible while working in a remote environment
Ethics and Integrity: Behave in a fair and ethical manner toward peers, partners, tutors, and children; instill mutual trust and confidence; act with honesty and integrity.
Planning/Organizing/Goal Setting: Demonstrate the ability to organize people and tasks; develop realistic action plans while being sensitive to time constraints and resource availability; define realistic, specific goals and objectives; prioritize objectives.
Diversity: Understand that each individual is unique and celebrate individual differences including race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, mental or physical (dis)ability, marital status, veteran status, education, training, position, level of authority, seniority, full-time or part-time status.
Collaboration: Cultivate a positive partner and customer service relationship; foster two-way communication; deliver experiences that exceed stakeholders’ expectations.
Continuous Improvement: Continuously seek opportunities for innovative approaches to address organizational opportunities.
Solution-Oriented: Exhibit initiative; take action in solving problems; positive attitude focused on collaboration and team problem solving.
- At Ignite! Reading/Open Up Resources, we believe in building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all applicants are considered for employment without attention to color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- We are seeking candidates who have lived experience related to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- We are a virtual organization with headquarters in the California Bay Area.
- This is a benefited, salaried position that includes competitive and equitable compensation based on experience and skill level of the individual.