Retail Zipline (51-200 Employees, 163% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Zipline is 100% remote and accepts applicants from Canada, US & internationally.
Hi. We’re Zipline! We’re helping put technology into the hands of those that need it most – – retail workers. If you have worked in a store, you know the drill. You’re helping customers, ringing up orders, and trying to do the 30 tasks that HQ wants you to do. Some pertain to you. Some don’t. But that’s for you to figure out… all while putting out fires and keeping shelves tidy.
That’s where we come in! We turn the grind of retail communications into an engaging, effective, aha solution. The Zipline platform ensures that the right people get the right information in the right way. Everyone is on the same page, tasks are tracked and life feels less like a perpetual game of hair-on-fire.
With Zipline, employees feel more connected, understand the role they play in the brand’s mission, and can feel good about the work they’re doing. This is important to us because retail is one of America's most populous workforces but also one of the most underserved. Through Zipline, we can touch on one in four American workers who are often minority, women, and working part-time while studying or taking care of the family.
While our end users view Zipline as “one thing” that helps them get things done, Zipline is a product and Zipline is a brand. We deeply care about our brand and we deeply care about our product(s). As we continue this journey, the role of design at Zipline is to consistently deliver unified product-brand experiences at all touchpoints.
We have been hard at work to keep things simple and highly contextual for the end-users we serve. We’d like to take our design to the next level to create a true design-led product differentiation by focusing on what problems we solve, how we solve them, and how we further delight our end users! Our ideal Director of Product Design is passionate and driven to take a design from an enabler to design as a differentiator. They will report directly to the Chief Product Officer and will be an equal and important peers to product management and engineering.
Attributes we’re looking for
- Leadership: Effectively builds and leads a diverse team of designers. Motivates, coaches, inspires, and challenges designers to help bring the best out of them and find opportunities to help them realize their potential.
- Stakeholder management: Influences a range of cross-functional leaders without direct authority. Channels the voice of customers, prospects, and end-users to help drive positive change in the product. Work on product vision and with other leadership members, strong ability to story tell and influence.
- Product and not project: Understands key differences between designing a product for customers and designing for a client. Leads and coaches a team to design for the long term and ship for the short term.
- Interaction design: As a practitioner and as an advocate, deeply understands the nuances of interaction design and treat it as a central pillar of overall product design.
- Scaling design: Attracts design talent and uses a structured process to build and grow the team to help scale design as a function.
- Diverse and equitable experiences: Understands the complex needs of the diverse personas we serve to deliver inclusive and equitable experiences that scale on this spectrum.
- 7+ years of experience working in consumer-grade user experience
- Previous design team management in a similar role
- Strong understanding of product development methodologies such as Agile and Design Thinking
- Deep understanding and current or hands-on experience with the goal-focused interaction design process
- Deep understanding of the role of user research in the design process including user research frameworks
- Ability to work in or learn applications such as Mac Book Pro/Air, Gmail & G-Suite Products, Microsoft Office, Basecamp, Slack
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and written, present to, influence, or befriend all levels within an organization.
- Outstanding listening and writing skills, and a keen ability to translate complex concepts into simple, persuasive language.
- A collaborative team player with skills and experience to operate and deliver in a multi-disciplinary environment
What's In It for You:
- Remote office: Join an effective remote team and work where you’re comfortable
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world!
- Benefits: 401k, and world-class medical, dental, and vision policies
- Team Fun: Twice annual company off-sites in fun locations. We’ve done New York, Costa Rica, Whistler, Palm Springs, San Diego, and Mexico City
- Learning: Sponsorship of meetup and conference attendance
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- And Much More!
We value diversity of all kinds and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Got More Time, here’s more about Zipline!
How do we work? Remotely. We have been 100% remote since the company was founded and we have it down to a science – – a people science. We huddle as a team weekly and as a company 3 times a week. On Fridays, we come together to learn from each other. One week it might be about opossum rescue. Another week it might be an update on our product roadmap or the results of our customer satisfaction survey. We are all masters of Zoom and love the freedom of working from home – – or vans – – or sailboats.
The word is getting out. We are featured regularly in the press, mostly because of the results we get from our customers. Here’s a look at just some of the articles published recently. We also picked up some awards in 2020. CBInsights ranked us one of the 100 most promising B2B retail tech companies in the world. And, our CEO was a TechTrailblazer finalist. (Check out her articles on Forbes to see her passion for retail and solving its biggest challenges.)
We have made incredible progress but changing the industry is hard. We are well funded by leading venture capital firms like Emergence Capital and ready to scale. We need your help to improve the way that this 4.4 trillion dollar industry communicates with its store employees. Cumbersome, slow, and inefficient systems should not be the status quo. Help us retool retail.