Subspace Labs (11-50 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Subspace Network is building a radically decentralized, next-generation blockchain which allows developers to easily run Web3 apps at Internet scale. Subspace is based on original research funded by the US National Science Foundation and planning to launch its Network later this year. Subspace Labs is an early-stage, venture-backed startup with a remote-first, globally distributed team. To learn more, visit our website and read the technical whitepaper.We are seeking a Director of Research to join our rapidly growing team of Blockchain and Cryptocurrency enthusiasts and engineers. As our Director of Research you will primarily be responsible for building and leading a team of protocol researchers. The research team will be responsible for analyzing the security of the Subspace Network, formalizing our specifications, and publishing relevant research results in the peer-reviewed setting.
In this role you will:
- Collaborate directly with the CEO & CTO to translate our existing white paper, documentation, and protocol roadmap into a set of formal specifications
- Identify the key security challenges and develop a long-term research and publication roadmap which addresses them
- Ensure research findings are continuously fed back into the protocol design and implementation, by working closely with the protocol engineering team.
- Recruit hire and lead our international protocol research team, consisting of research scientists, post-doctoral researchers, and graduate research interns.
- Work directly with our university partners, academic advisors, and third party engineering security partners to facilitate formal security analyses and audits
- Represent our project at industry conferences and university events, presenting relevant research and facilitating outreach for top talent
- Design and administer an open-source online research forum and work to engage the global research community in the security analysis of our protocol
- A PhD in Computer Science, Cryptography or a related field
- A strong record of peer-reviewed publications in cryptography, distributed systems, or peer-to-peer network, as they relate to blockchain protocols
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to collaborate across our protocol and research teams
- A passion for decentralized, peer-to-peer systems and Web3 technologies
- Experience as a professor, post-doctoral researcher, or industry researcher
- Experience analyzing the security claims of novel layer-one blockchains
- Experience deploying and evaluating large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with the Rust programming language and Substrate framework
What We Offer
- Work remotely from anywhere in the world with a talented team of globally distributed individuals
- A competitive salary with generous equity and token grants
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US-based candidates only)
- A unique opportunity to shape the future of the Subspace Network and play a critical role in building the world’s most scalable blockchain
- Company-sponsored team offsites in various locations around the world