Elastic (501+ Employees, 36% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Elastic builds software to make data usable in real time and at scale for search, logging, security, and analytics use cases.
Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
We’re looking for a Java Engineer to join the Elasticsearch – Query Languages team, focusing on building and improving support for additional query languages such as SQL, EQL and more to come. This is a software engineering role that covers new features, enhancements to existing features, and resolving bugs. We design and write code (including automated tests) and documentation. We review one another’s code via GitHub pull requests, and we investigate and fix bugs. We do all of this transparently on GitHub. Our work involves writing query parsers, language analysis, optimization, query execution and data manipulation across Elasticsearch APIs. We contribute across Elasticsearch to provide adequate support for these query languages.
Elasticsearch is a distributed application written in Java, dedicated to performance and scalability. We’re looking for enthusiastic and passionate engineers who are able to design new product features while thinking through the concurrency and performance implications of those designs.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Building and evolving the query language support in Elasticsearch.
- Contributing improvements to the wider Elasticsearch product to be able to better support query languages.
- Prototyping new ideas and experimenting openly.
- Working closely with cross product teams to expand query language offerings at all levels of the Elastic Stack.
- Collaborating in the open with the Elasticsearch team, Elastic Stack users, and others supporting open source projects.
What You Bring Along:
- You’re passionate about query languages!
- Experience developing a query language; building a Domain Specific Language in Java is preferred
- Hands-on technical experience in software engineering with a focus on server side Java development
- Strong algorithm implementation and optimization skills
- Strong knowledge of database and data stores internals
- Experience with parser/lexers like ANTLR
- Hands on experience of designing a query execution plan
- Experience with rule-based systems Search and analytics tools
- Worked in open source before and are familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
- Maintained a query language or DSL
- Built things with Elasticsearch before, and understand how distributed systems operate and the limitations and advantages.
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.