Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
We’re looking for a Senior Engineer to join the Elasticsearch – Analytics & Geo team. This globally-distributed team of experienced engineers focuses on the summary/aggregation and geo capabilities of Elasticsearch. If it comes from Elasticsearch and it’s elegant, we provided the data for it.
Our company is distributed by intention. We hire the best engineers we can find wherever they are, whoever they are. We collaborate across continents every day over email, GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. At our best, we write fast, scalable and intuitive software. We believe that the best way to do that is to empower individual engineers, code review every change, decide big things by consensus, and strive for incremental improvements.
Why should you join us?
We believe in the power of search and every day push the boundaries of what search can do. Our products power and monitor many applications that you use everyday. From making information easily discoverable on Wikipedia to analyzing data from the Mars helicopter, Elasticsearch is so ubiquitous it was chosen to be stored for future generations as part of the Arctic Code Vault Program. But we are not done yet. If pushing the boundaries of search algorithms, while solving challenging problems in a highly distributed and scalable manner excites you, we are searching for you.
What You Will Be Doing
- You’ll be a full time Elasticsearch contributor, building data intensive new features and fixing intriguing bugs, all while making the code easier to understand. Sometimes you’ll need to invent a new algorithm or data structure or find one and implement it. Other times you’ll get closer to the disk or disassembly.
- You’ll work with community members from all over the world on issues and pull requests, sometimes prioritising them and handing them off to other SMEs and sometimes handling them yourself.
- You’ll write idiomatic modern Java. Elasticsearch is 99.8% Java so you’ll end up confident even if you don’t start that way.
What You Bring Along
- You are proficient in low-level Java, standard data structures and concurrency primitives. You can talk about and implement data structures and algorithms from old standbys like heaps and merge sort to unique things customized for our problems.
- You’ve used several data storage technologies like Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Prometheus, MongoDB, or Cassandra and have some idea how they work and why they work that way.
- You work with a high level of autonomy. The distributed nature of the company offers freedom to work when and how you see fit, but also requires team members to work independently and reach out for help when stuck.
- You’re comfortable developing collaboratively. Giving and receiving feedback on code and approaches and APIs to build world class software.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills. We try to be respectful, empathetic, and trusting in all of our interactions.
- You’ve contributed to open source projects.
- You’ve worked on a distributed system. Better if distributed storage technology.
- You’ve built things with our Elastic Stack before.
- You’ve analyzed a Java heap dump.
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.