Mystenlabs (11-50 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Mysten Labs believes that decentralized and open protocols are the bedrock of the internet of value. This is why at Mysten, we are creating foundational infrastructure to accelerate the adoption of decentralized protocols based on blockchain technologies.
Mysten Labs has a goal of onboarding the next billion users to web3. For this to happen, the Sui network will feature cutting-edge operational characteristics, including high-throughput, low cost transactions, decentralized state management and a competitive and innovative economic ecosystem.
You’ll be one of the first managers on our Infrastructure Engineering teams, reporting directly to the head of engineering. You’ll be building and managing team(s) of engineers and defining our culture and best practices for years to come. You’ll have the opportunity to manage broad areas, such as reliability, scalability, and security, or domain areas, such as blockchain tools ecosystem, the blockchain core, or the Move language and ecosystem, based on your expertise, strengths, and interests. Flexibility is key, as we’re a dynamic young company and things move fast.
- Develop a solid mental model of the product and its future direction, working cross-functionally with other stakeholders, to guide infrastructure investments for current and emerging business needs.
- Be responsible for maintaining a high quality bar for everything your team supports.
- Facilitate planning—the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work—for your team. You’ll work with others to shape how Mysten Lab’s engineering organization operates, develop our technical practices, build recruiting and onboarding strategies, and more.
- Recruit, coach, and develop engineers; you’ll ensure engineers are regularly receiving feedback and making progress on personal and professional goals.
What we look for:
- Infrastructure manager: You have managed infrastructure-focused engineering teams, particularly ones that own a wide swath of hosted infrastructure (like AWS) and have multiple years of experience focusing on one or more of the following areas:
– Build, Test, Deploy
– Developer Productivity / Experience
– ObservabilityReliability Engineering
- Technically hands-on: You enjoy solving people and organizational challenges, but gravitate towards our technical challenges, keep up with industry trends, and understand our architecture and how it needs to evolve inside and out.
- You are able to influence design reviews, incident postmortems, and our technical direction not through your position, but through the credibility that your technical expertise brings.
- Commitment to diversity: You have built and are committed to building diverse and inclusive teams; you value empathetic and direct communication and foster environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where people do their best work.
- Startup mentality: You are comfortable navigating the fast moving, unstructured nature of a hyper-growth startup. You are self-motivated to add value and bias towards action. You understand the importance of setting the engineering quality bar for the long term success of our business, but are able to make difficult prioritizations.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly. You don’t just go after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line. To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you’re not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- You have startup-company experience leading or managing engineering teams, particularly during periods of rapid growth and organizational change.
- Have managed managers or 10+ full time engineers directly
- You’ve experienced the challenges of scaling and re-architecting infrastructure through orders of magnitudes of growth.
Our team is 100% remote and we are hiring across the world. Here at Mysten Labs, you’ll be joining a world class team with tremendous growth potential. We raised our first funding round ($36m series A) from top Silicon Valley led by Andreessen Horowitz (a16z) with participation from Redpoint, Lightspeed, Coinbase Ventures, Electric Capital, Standard Crypto, NFX, Slow Ventures, Scribble Ventures, Samsung Next, Lux Capital and many other great funds and angels!