HealthSherpa (51-200 Employees, 150% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
We are a profitable and fast growing healthcare startup — a small and mighty team of 140 helping people find, enroll in and use ACA health coverage. We’ve doubled in each of the past two years and are now the largest ACA enrollment platform after Healthcare.gov, having helped over 10 million people enroll in health coverage. We’re a mission-driven team who advocates for and cares deeply about the people we serve.
We are a double bottom line company. Our two bottom lines are revenues and enrollments in ACA coverage. Uniquely in our space, we only facilitate enrollment in on-exchange coverage. The ACA brings high quality, comprehensive and affordable health coverage within reach for low income Americans. We exist to make that promise a reality.
We are committed to building a team balanced in representation to best serve the people who use our products. We believe in creating inclusive and equitable spaces, which build trust and respect and foster a sense of belonging. These values are at the core of our culture, and we genuinely believe they will continue to lead our organization to successful outcomes.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join our dynamic product development organization of 25 engineers and lead and manage a team of 2- 5 in the development of our health insurance software product.
You’ll manage a team in the execution, delivery, and operation of a production-ready, maintainable system using Ruby on Rails and React that uses appropriate patterns and libraries to support its growth and maintenance by our company.
You’ll facilitate the team’s execution processes, make rapid technical and execution decisions, review code, contribute to architecture and design discussions, guide progress and avoiding roadblocks, and ensure effective software delivery, manage complex projects and initiatives, and guide and cultivate growth in engineers in building, delivering, and operating the product.
You’ll report to the Director of Engineering, who will provide guidance, mentorship, training, and coaching in leading your team to success. You’ll also have a peer group of other lead engineers and engineering managers in the organization to rely on for mutual support, bounce ideas, and collaborate.
- Lead. Lead an engineering team of 2-5 engineers in developing a high-profile product using Ruby on Rails and React.
- Manage. Oversee features and systems by implementing and facilitating agile, lean, and devops development practices.
- Cultivate. Ensure your engineers remain productive, growing, and happy.
- Deliver. Facilitate a continuous flow of delivery of work product, ensuring things are reviewed, deployed, and operated safely and effectively.
- Familiarity with lean, DevOps, and agile principles, and know the importance of batch size reduction, limiting WIP, and incorporating feedback to create value iteratively and incrementally.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and ReactJS, or equivalent frameworks and libraries
- Experience with data modeling and class design tradeoffs, principles, and practices to help guide the team’s technical direction
- Experience and interest in leading, growing, and cultivating diverse teams
- Interest in managing organizational improvements in Deployment Frequency, Change Failure Rate, Mean Time to Restore, Lead Time, and Cycle Time.
What we offer:
- Remote-first company
- A salary range between $200,000 – $260,000, depending on experience
- Great compensation package with meaningful equity in a high growth, profitable company, with offers that are competitive to SF Bay Area regardless of your location
- Excellent benefits package that includes health, vision and dental coverage for you, your spouse and dependents
- Additional benefits, including a monthly grocery and internet stipend, 401K w/ a match after grace period, employee assistance program, and parental leave
- 4 weeks paid vacation, plus additional holidays
- Formal mentorship and training along three distinct tracks (management, engineering, and leadership)
We’re building a diverse and inclusive work environment where we learn from each other. We welcome and encourage people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, identities, abilities and perspectives to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come join the team at HealthSherpa. #LI-Remote