SumOfUs (11-50 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
SumOfUs is looking for an Executive Assistant to support our Managing Director. This role will provide organized, strategic and high-quality administrative support: scheduling meetings, maintaining an organized calendar, managing travel arrangements on occasion, interfacing with staff, partners, and key stakeholders. This role will also support scheduling for hiring processes and onboarding, working with candidates and staff calendars across the organization.
Success in this position requires a high-degree of organization, creative problem-solving skills, a proactive and solutions-focused mindset, clear and proactive communication, advanced project management and relationship-building skills. In addition, this role requires the ability to anticipate and act on the Managing Director’s work needs in a way that ensures a smooth, effective workflow with focus on the most important priorities.
This role will be remote, and can be 80-100% time, undertaken by anyone working in the GMT-5 time zone (East Coast Americas). Candidates for these roles should have at least some experience in executive assistant work, preferably in an international nonprofit organization.
A bit about us
SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new and sustainable path for our global economy. We are a movement of more than 20 million people, brought together by a global team of 40+ campaigners, fundraisers, product and operations staff. Our purpose is to challenge corporate power everywhere. We hold the biggest corporations in the world (and their political allies) to account by mobilising millions of people to take collective action.
We are aiming to fundamentally reshape the global economy to put people and planet over profit, but we know we can not do it alone. We build partnerships with on-the-ground activists and organisers, and we follow their lead. We innovate, experiment and embrace professional and organizational growth. We invest in people and we invest in how we work, because our vision calls on us to build the most effective, global, diverse, and talented team possible.
We highly value a diverse team and an equitable work environment where every member of our team is set up to thrive. We have taken steps to nurture this environment including an Anti-Oppression Leadership Team that leads work to transform injustice within the organization. We expect all team members to take responsibility for co-creating an equitable work community where everyone is able to do impactful, world-changing work. We offer benefits including additional sick days for parents and caregivers, flexible working hours, and professional development stipends. We review our policies and practices for equity frequently. We recruit and encourage people identifying with marginalized communities to apply.
What you will do as part of our team
- Coordinate executive communications, including taking calls, responding to emails, taking notes in meetings, and interfacing with program and funding partners or other internal or external stakeholders;
- Organize and maintain the Managing Director’s email, calendar, files and notes;
- Prepare internal and external documents (ex: executive board reports and internal presentations);
- Schedule meetings and appointments, and manage travel itineraries;
- Support other administrative functions such as filing expense reports and completing time sheets;
- Support scheduling for the People Operations team, namely scheduling candidate interviews during the hiring process and onboarding trainings for new staff; and
- Uphold a strict level of confidentiality.
Skills and experiences you will need to bring:
We have no formal education requirements – if you can meet the responsibilities of the role and are willing to grow, that is all that matters.
All roles at SumOfUs require you to be:
- Dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy;
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive work community;
- Able to communicate in English (English is our primary working language at SOU);
- Able to work remotely (our team is remote).
And, this role in particular will require you to:
- Have experience as an executive assistant or similar support role;
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously with competing priorities, while maintaining flexibility and responsiveness to changing needs;
- Track, triage, and manage many tasks simultaneously, and prioritize tasks for the executive;
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be able to summarize key action points;
- Ability to work with a diverse team across many time zones;
- Have proficiency with technology, and have experience with or able to quickly learn platforms such as Google Workspaces, Zoom, Slack, and LastPass;
- Maintain a high level of organization and work within the systems currently working for the executive, while suggesting improvements;
- Maintain professional discretion when handling sensitive or confidential information; and
- Be keen to learn and develop new skills, and find innovative solutions to challenges.
We know that no one can possibly have all these skills and experiences – you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Experience in a global organization working across time zones and languages;
- Experience doing executive assistant work remotely;
- Experience with Greenhouse ATS;
- Strong relationship building skills, able to forge and manage relationships with a range of people and organizations;
- Exceptional technology skills, able to not only use SOU’s preferred platforms but maximize them and suggest other solutions to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the executive working in a remote environment; and
- Experience with non-profit organizations, and more specifically, a global campaigning organization.
How to apply
We don’t find cover letters particularly helpful in seeing the way you might fit with this job. Instead, use the form to upload your resume and your answers to the following three questions in English:
- Why are you applying for this job? (suggested word limit: 100);
- What do you believe an executive assistant brings to an organization? (suggested word limit 150)
- What strengths do you have that helps you excel as an executive assistant? Why? (suggested word limit 150)
- List which of the “big plus” skills above you have, with a few words of explanation if that is useful.
This role is open until filled, and applications will be reviewed every two weeks. Applications are only accepted through our website www.sumofus.org/about/jobs.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and where you live. For some context: this position in the US would pay between $69,000 – $80,200 USD per year. In other regions, compensation will be adjusted for local currency and local market rates. SumOfUs’s compensation policy is calculated with a focus on equity and where staff can thrive.
SumOfUs is a fully remote and distributed team, as such we offer stipends to offset cell phone and internet costs. We offer stipends to set-up home offices or to rent space in a coworking environment. We offer five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major public holidays off and 6 months paid parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and work with a degree of flexibility outside our core hours of operation. We cover private health insurance premiums for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.