Dear new Financial Controller,
It’s funny to think you’re reading this, even though we haven’t actually met yet. But, given that you’re the Financial Controller who’s going to take our amazing team to the next level, we just wanted to say hi. Richard, our CFO, is especially excited to meet you – first because he’s lovely and a pleasure to work with but, secondly, because he knows just how fascinating a time this is to be joining Buyapowa, as we enter our biggest ever period of worldwide growth.
So, welcome to Buyapowa, new Financial Controller. We can’t wait for you to start.
This is what makes Buyapowa Buyapowa:
Traditional marketing is dead. That’s why we’re building what comes next – a whole new channel to attract and acquire customers that reflects the way that people discover, fall in love and shop with today’s leading brands.
We’re thrilled that more and more clients including BT, Vodafone, Formula 1, HSBC, Centrica, and Ralph Lauren are joining Buyapowa on this adventure, each and every day. But, cards on the table, when we started out over 10 years ago, we had no idea we’d become the global leader in what we do. And, while we’ve got huge plans for the years ahead, we’re just as excited by the unknown future as we are by the storied past.
We love new people, new ideas, new skills, new angles, new problems and new solutions. That’s why we’re not going to say something dumb like: “The ideal candidate went to this school, worked at that business and has this personality, that skillset and these boxes checked on their resume”. If we knew exactly what we wanted, we wouldn’t need you. So come show us what we’re missing.
We think these things are pretty obvious, but we’re a bit grossed-out that no one else is really saying them:
- No one wants to be compelled to commute into an office anymore. That’s why, while Buyapowa has offices around the world (and we love getting together face-to-face), we’re fully committed to the virtual workspace, and we’re delighted that our team gets to work wherever in the world they call home.
- No one’s worked at Buyapowa until they work at Buyapowa. So, while we value experience, we know that the greatest experience you can have is the experience you’ll gain once you start working with us.
- No one stops being talented just because they’re in their 50s or 60s. We love fresh ideas, but we don’t have a weird youth fetish like some other employers.
- That said, Mozart was composing classics when he was only five years old. So, if you’re just starting out on your journey, that’s amazing too.
- Apparently, the average person changes career 5-7 times over the course of their working life. Between you and us, we think that might be BS, but either way: we don’t care if this is your first and only career or you’re embarking on change number 5, 6 or 7. If you’ve got the talent, we want you.
- We actively celebrate all forms of diversity, and we’ll love the way you look, the things you believe in, the life you live and the people you love.
So, that’s us. We love building the future and we love the people we’re building the future with. If you’re the future-building kind, and you’ve got the smarts to back it up, the job’s already yours.
We are searching for a talented and ambitious individual with broad accounting experience to work alongside our CFO. You will supervise a team of 2 covering all aspects of financial management, reporting, planning and analysis.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the right individual to develop themselves across a wide remit of responsibilities and grow their career within a rapidly expanding business.
What you will do:
- Manage a team of 2 based in UK and Canada to ensure efficient running of the day to day bookkeeping, including all aspects of our sales & purchase ledger, cash and banking, posting to QuickBooks
- Produce monthly management accounts and Board papers
- Produce annual budgets and quarterly re-forecasts
- Maintain weekly cash flow forecast
- Ensure robust financial control environment operates across the business
- Ad hoc analysis to provide insights into business metrics to drive performance
- Deputise for CFO in key meetings
- Qualified accountant (ICAEW, CIMA, ACCA)
- Strong academics and evidence of career progression
- Broad Finance experience across planning, analysis, reporting and accounting processes (sales, purchases, cash)
- Wanting to develop themselves to be ready to take on first FD role
- Methodical, analytical, organized
- Ability to work under pressure and in a fast paced start up environment
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Good working knowledge of Excel
- Constantly seeking ways to improve ways of working
Bonus points for:
- Experience of working within a SaaS business
We love you. Here’s why you’ll love us back:
Learning & development. We’ll give you the opportunity to learn, including a personal learning budget for your professional growth.
Ownership. We’ve got big plans and we want you to share in the upside. That’s why you’ll get to participate in a generous equity incentive plan.
Wellbeing. We’re looking forward to seeing you grow in your professional life, but we also care about your wellbeing. That’s why you’ll receive an annual wellness budget, to spend just on you – no questions asked.
Work / life balance. Taking a break is super important to all of us. In fact, it’s something that’s gently encouraged, coaxed and nudged on a regular basis.
Remote-work ready. Our ethos is to prioritise remote working. While we have hubs and we love getting together, our priority is to invest in getting you set up to work remotely. So, whatever you need to be amazing, it’s on us.
Family life. Being part of the Buyapowa family is important to us, but we know you have a life outside of our team, too. Whatever family / home life looks like to you, we offer flexible working.