Marco Polo (51-200 Employees, 43% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Marco Polo's purpose is to help people feel close. It's a new way to stay in touch with people who matter most to you.
Marco Polo is a video chat app created for one simple and significant purpose—to help people feel close.
We’re currently seeking a Full Stack Software Engineer to join Marco Polo and help us build the next generation web experience to support our mission. A great candidate for this role is someone who excels at building a great user experience on a rock solid platform and is interested in a highly collaborative and positive work environment. The person in this role will be joining a small team responsible for building and maintaining a variety of web experiences that are critical to our users and our company.
In this position, you will:
- Build high quality user experiences: You’ll continuously collaborate with other developers, designers and product owners to build beautiful and reliable experiences for our users.
- Own the outcome, not the task: You’ll help ensure that we’re pursuing the right solutions to the right problems. You will create products that you’re ready and eager to maintain. You’ll build visibility into how your features are used and where they’re failing, and you’ll always put the data privacy and safety of our users first.
- Continuously improve: You’ll be just as excited to learn from the experiences of your team as you are to share your own. You will constantly look for opportunities to perfect your craft, and to grow in new directions. You’ll be enthusiastic about new technology, but judicious in using it.
Ideally, you have:
- 4+ years of relevant front-end experience with a modern framework (vue.js, angular.js, react, or similar).
- 2+ years of relevant experience designing and building web services.
- Hands-on experience working with cloud technologies (AWS or similar).
- A strong foundation in computer science, data structures, algorithms and software design.
- Experience working closely with design and product experts.
- Humbleness and intellectual curiosity, and the ability to communicate with a high degree of empathy.
You’ll love working here because:
- We’re a purpose-driven company making a difference in the lives of millions of people.
- We have been doing the remote work thing long before it became necessary. We’re good at it and we’ll make sure you are too!
- We move quickly so you’re constantly learning and things never get stale.
- We know good ideas come from everywhere, so we work to ensure every person feels safe to take risks and think outside of the box.
- We offer competitive compensation, including equity, and we’ve got you covered when it comes to your health (medical, vision, dental), finances, and your family (paid family leave).
Does this sound interesting to you? If so, then we’d love to hear from you. We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Marco Polo. If you’re on the fence about whether you’re a fit, go ahead and apply! Each application is reviewed by a real, live human who understands that each candidate’s unique lived experience is more valuable than buzzwords on a resume.
A bit about us:
Marco Polo is private video chat for your real relationships – not the entire world. Our video chat app allows you to send a video message at your convenience, and your friend or family member can send back whenever they can. With millions of people already benefiting from this new way of using technology to nurture their relationships, we’re proving that we can reject harmful but profitable business practices and build products that are good for you.
In June 2020, we launched Marco Polo Plus, a subscription plan that offers a premium experience. We aim to be a sustainable business while remaining free in a way that upholds our brand promise to be good for you. Plus delivers on our promise to monetize without ads or selling user data.
Though our backgrounds are diverse, we share a belief—lives flourish when people feel close. That common inspiration keeps us aligned with our purpose as a team, which is scattered across 16 states (so far), coast-to-coast throughout North America.
The distance doesn’t slow us down. We keep the engine humming from our homes, co-working spaces, and coffee shops—connecting with daily Zoom calls, and retreats. Whether collaborating through Slack, video calls, or of course Marco Polo, our team knows how to keep connected—it’s what we do best!
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.