Roote (1-10 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
This is a unique opportunity to lead fundraising efforts at Roote!
There’s a ton of money lying out there. Roote is doing tons of impactful work. Your job is to connect that money to our impact.
I. What is Roote?
Roote (www.roote.co) is an educational hub and for-public startup studio accelerating the personal and collective transformation necessary for humanity’s transition to the Wisdom Age.
- Our educational hub runs the Roote Fellowship, a podcast, and a newsletter.
- Our startup studio launches Roote Projects, ambitious projects which catalyze systems-level change for a wiser world.
II. Role Overview
Roote will launch social impact projects across a wide variety of fields, including Web3, improving governance, the attention economy, effective altruism, and complex systems.
You will be our CEO Rhys Lindmark’s right hand person for fundraising in each of these domains. You will be responsible for fundraising, network-building, and partnerships. Your north star is simple: Can you convert the conversations Rhys has with funders into tens of millions of dollars in donations?
If you’re interested in leading something new that will maximize your rate-of-learning, please apply!
What You’ll Do
- Lead the entire process of fundraising: relationship building, direct funding asks, grant applications, annual reporting, and recurring funding.
- Find top funding options, prioritize them by cost-benefit, and quickly pursue and execute them.
- Develop relationships with grant directors at:
- Foundations: Web3 Foundations (Ethereum Foundation), Web2 Foundations (Omidyar Network), Industrial Era Foundations (Ford Foundation), Effective Altruist Foundations (Open Philanthropy), and more!
- High Net Worth Individuals
- Decentralized Autonomous Organizations
- Co-build visions with prospective and existing funders.
- Determine longer-term strategies for developing repeatable, sustainable funding sources.
You will do all of this in a network-first way: by building community and collaborating with existing communities. If you help other orgs raise money, that’s great!
After 1 year, success looks like: you’ve raised $5M across Roote’s projects (we’ve already raised $1M) and have built relationships with 100+ possible financial partners.
After 3 years, success looks like: You have raised $15M in recurring donations across Roote.
You May Be a Fit if You
- Have a technical background. We primarily fundraise for technical projects, so you should be comfortable with the web2 world (how ranking algorithms work, etc.) and web3 (how layer 1 smart contract platforms work, how layer 2 works, how privacy is achieved, how DeFi, DAOs, and NFTs work).
- Are already 6+ months into the Web3 rabbit hole. All of our funding thus far has come from crypto.
- Have experience raising large sums of money. (Or have a desire to do so!)
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Love building community.
- Have a proven ability to be a self-starter capable of driving business results without significant supervision.
- Have the ability to bring structure to ambiguous strategic questions and thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving environment.
- Have a strong bias toward concrete action. You should often ask: “Why can’t this be done sooner?”
- Have a strong bias towards ambition. You should often ask: “Is this the most ambitious plan we could come up with?”
Even if not all of these apply to you, we’d still love to consider your application, particularly if you’d like to learn more of these. Studies show that you can be considered for a role even if many of a job posting’s listed qualifications don’t apply to you. We evaluate all applications holistically.
Why You Might Be Excited About Us
- You get to be weird and creative. This is not a traditional VC firm, tech company, online school, or academic research hub.
- You want to work with us. Here is our team. And here are our How To Work With Me Manuals.
- We have a great network. You want to work with global leaders and ambitious frontier people.
- You are aligned with Roote’s guiding mission and values.
- We have an extremely flexible leave policy and provide benefits including full health, dental, and vision coverage.
Time Expectation: Start as soon as possible.
Location: We are a hybrid org based in the SF Bay Area. If you’re here, we’d work in the office together a few days a week. If you’re not here, we’d have quarterly offsites.
(The listed salary is based on US rates. We adjust salaries to reflect regional costs of living.)
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Work From Home
- Wellness Resources