Outschool’s mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
Our business is growing explosively: 900,000+ learners have taken more than over 7M class hours. We’ve more than quadrupled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 118 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $130M since founding with most of that still in the bank. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative edtech company in the world and in the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
We’re committed to access and impact so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need. In addition, Outschool has created an Educator Endowment Fund in appreciation for these teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
Our product and expertise have become central to many families, educators and organizations and will continue to provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their interests in 2021 and beyond.
Outschool is looking for our first Head of Legal to build and oversee our legal team as our platform and team continue to grow. This person will serve as leader, operator & strategic advisor to the entire organization. They will oversee efforts ranging from intellectual property to corporate governance, to labor law & much more.
Reporting to our Head of Operations, this person will be responsible for a combination of hands-on execution and strategic leadership over the next 12-24 months as Outschool scales. They’ll bring an ability to design and build an exceptional legal team in a highly cross-functional and collaborative environment. The right candidate is excited about joining a growth-stage environment where they’ll have an opportunity to build a team and legal infrastructure from the ground up. The ideal candidate has worked closely with product teams in a consumer-focused company, managing product risk while enabling experimentation speed of development.
- Oversee the company’s corporate legal functions, including Intellectual Property, employment law, contracts, education law
- Drive the company’s legal strategy, effectively assessing risk and enabling effective decision-making across the organization
- Manage external law firms, ensuring project completion and managing legal costs
- Build the corporate legal infrastructure of the company, including contracts and contracts management, intellectual property management
- Oversee the company’s government relations function
- Support the executive team and board of directors
- Work cross-functionally with stakeholders across teams like Product, Engineering, Marketing, Community and Trust & Safety
- Design and build a legal team of both in-house and external resources
- Ensure we’re operationally efficient and effective in negotiating and managing contracts across the organization
- Partner with and advise our People Operations team on processes, procedures, and compliance
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Experience managing an in-house legal function for a growth-stage startup, including managing an in-house team and outside counsel
- Experience with the legal issues facing marketplace companies, including IP and labor law considerations
- Experience overseeing a broad range of legal subject matter, including but not limited to employment law, corporate governance, commercial law, & data privacy
- Strong judgment and a track record of managing risk while enabling business growth and product experimentation
- Intellectual curiosity and a desire to understand and support product innovation
- The highest level of integrity, comfort with managing confidential information
- Strong people management skills and ability to recruit and hire exceptional legal talent
- Strong ability to turn legalese into language that everyone can understand, especially as it relates to policy and procedure
- An ability to teach others how to assess risk, negotiate and make effective decisions
- A lifelong learner who is passionate about continual growth & development
- J.D. with bar admission in good standing from any state across the U.S.
- Experience in an online marketplace is a plus
- Experience as in-house General Counsel is a plus, but not required. We’re open to someone who has held other in-house counsel positions at a growth stage company
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and a 401k that makes saving for retirement easier.
- Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established 501c3s, and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.