Zearn (51-200 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Who We Are:
Zearn is the nonprofit educational organization behind Zearn Math, the top-rated math learning platform used by 1 in 4 elementary students nationwide. Zearn Math supports teachers with research-backed curriculum and digital lessons proven to double the learning gains of a typical year of instruction. Zearn Math instructional materials – including 400+ hours of digital math learning – are free for teachers and families. Zearn also offers school-wide and district-wide licenses and professional development to support implementation. Everything Zearn does is driven by the belief that every kid can be a math kid.
Zearn is seeking an in-house IP-focused counsel to join its growing legal team. You will work closely and cross functionally with product and instructional team members to develop and implement key intellectual property and product strategies to ensure Zearn’s content is used to continue to support millions of kids learning across the country. You will own processes designed to expand and strengthen Zearn’s intellectual property portfolio of copyrights and trademarks. You will serve as an internal go-to resource for the company on a range of copyright, trademark and licensing questions as they arise. You will leverage good judgment and a strong business sense to assist product, and instructional teams towards developing products that enjoy strong intellectual property rights, while assessing and mitigating legal risk. You will report directly to the General Counsel and operate proactively in a fast-paced and growing environment.
What This Role Will Do:
- Develop an intimate understanding of our products to support creative product development and high impact launches.
- Advance Zearn’s intellectual property strategies in response to evolving business needs
- Align copyright and trademark portfolios with Zearn’s business initiatives and priorities.
- Collaborate with our product team to protect innovative products and solutions.
- Answer questions and offer practical legal advice on a wide range of IP and licensing issues.
- Work collaboratively with the product and instructional teams to enable workflows and maintain records that protect Zearn’s intellectual property rights.
- Grow Zearn’s intellectual property portfolio primarily in trademark and copyright, registrations, and own the process of seeking registrations, working with outside counsel as necessary.
- Help develop and implement new processes, policies and training as needed, based on legal and regulatory requirements, industry standards and best practices.
- Maintain flexibility and readiness to take on other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring To The Role:
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- Admitted, active and in good standing with a state bar
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience, expertise in advising clients on copyright, licensing, and trademark matters
- A passion for seeking out collaborative environments
- Mission-driven professionalism
- Familiarity with common open-source licenses (e.g., Creative Commons license framework)
- Well-developed analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent judgment and the highest level of personal integrity
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to balance multiple projects while remaining highly organized
- Deadline-driven and able to work effectively under pressure
- Excellent project management skills
- A commitment to Zearn’s mission of providing an exceptional education to all children
- A desire to join an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment at a high-growth organization
- The willingness to comply with Zearn’s vaccination (subject to legally valid exemptions) and Personal Protective Equipment policies
This role is remote, but you may be asked to travel to our New York City office periodically for team building when it reopens.
Compensation & Benefits:
The expected annual salary range for this role is $135,000-$150,000.
Zearn offers a competitive benefits package, including comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, short- and long- term disability, life insurance, 401K matching, parental leave, and a flexible PTO policy. We also offer a collegial and passionate culture and the potential to positively impact the lives of millions of children.
Zearn is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.