Column Five (11-50 Employees, 9% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Column Five is a creative agency that helps brands find and tell their best stories.
We’re looking to hire an Interactive Designer who knows how to effectively conceptualize, design, and present interactive, UI and UX ideas to clients and project teams. As an Interactive Designer you’ll be responsible for the execution of high quality creative for clients ranging from large tech companies to purpose-driven nonprofits. You’ll collaborate closely with a variety of talented people to plan, concept, design and develop strategy-led content and design solutions from kick-off to launch. They work closely and collaboratively with Producers, Developers, and our Client Services team to provide measurable results for our clients.
The Designer reports to the Design Team Lead and is on our 7 person Interactive Team which consists of Producer, Interactive Designers, Interactive Art Director, Developers, and collaborates on the account level with our clients, Strategists and Account Directors.
At Column Five, you’ll work with a vibrant team of people in an environment built on collaboration, camaraderie, freedom, and flexibility. Each day you’ll encounter challenges that stretch your skills and expand your creativity. As a distributed team, we value autonomy and personal accountability, so we’ve designed our tools and processes to help you do your best work—the way you work best. Most importantly, you’ll get the chance to grow with talented people who make you feel loved, respected, and welcomed. If you’re ready to roll up your sleeves, we can make work a place of belonging and a source of fulfillment and joy—together.
What does an Interactive Designer role look like day-to-day?
- Design content, from sketch to final deliverable, utilizing design software programs and traditional methods.
- Work collaboratively and communicate professionally with other departments/disciplines.
- Manage timelines, deadlines, and your own personal bandwidth, making decisions that consider budget and/or project parameters and objectives.
- Give and receive timely, relevant, and thoughtful feedback—while taking action on that feedback as necessary.
- Brings a sense of curiosity to every project—exploring alternative or unexpected solutions to even the most straight-forward or typical project.
INTERACTIVE DESIGNER RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Collaborate with team members to plan and design projects of varying size and type.
- Concept and execute original design solutions that uphold and elevate our collective quality standard.
- Lead good design practices for file prep, designer + developer collaboration, and quality assurance.
- Offer and receive feedback throughout design and project planning phases.
- Provide ongoing design for a wide variety of interactive projects including conceptual development, style exploration, internal feedback/critiques, and ensuring the success of your projects.
- Participate in client conversations on design thinking, UX and execution.
- Share active and thoughtful participation in project brainstorms.
REQUIREMENTS FOR AN INTERACTIVE DESIGNER AT COLUMN FIVE
- You are an interactive or UI or UX or web designer with some years of professional experience designing projects on web or devices.
- Strong typography, hierarchy, and layout skills.
- Some education in graphic design.
- Ability to synthesize complex, abstract, and disorganized information into compelling creative concepts or narratives with a strong understanding of visual storytelling.
- High attention to detail, quality control and best working practices for high performing interactive teams.
- Advanced skills and experience using modern design tools (Adobe suite, Figma, etc)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; confidence presenting ideas to colleagues and clients, ability to defend ideas and collaborate with all stakeholders.
- Humility to listen, grow, and learn.
- Competitive salary
- Full health insurance with dependent stipends
- Profit Sharing
- Parental leave
- Trainings, education, and investment to support career growth
- FSA plan (medical and dependent care)
- Life insurance, long-term & short-term disability insurance
- Remote-first company
- Generous 401(k) savings plan
- A fun, engaged, and inclusive team
Compensation is dependent upon experience. We do not pay based on the location of the employee, rather based on salary market rates in Orange County, CA.
We are a distributed- or remote-first company. This means that we are open to working with you if you live anywhere within the USA. We have our headquarters/ office in Orange County, CA if you like going into an office, you would be welcome!
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a current resume, and a cover letter that includes why you are the right person for Column Five. You must have an online portfolio to apply. No pdf portfolios accepted except if in addition to an online portfolio.
No phone calls, please. Although we value the services recruitment agencies provide, at this time we are not leveraging external 3rd party recruitment resources for this search. Should those needs change, we will seek your assistance directly. No candidate should be withheld from applying to this position by any outside recruiter or agency representation since Column Five does not have any contractual obligations at this time.
Column Five is an Equal Opportunity Employer focused on creating a workplace of belonging. We encourage applicants from all walks of life and do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, disability, and other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you need reasonable accommodations for any part of the employment process, let us know.
Note to applicants: On our application, we have an optional section that collects the federal equal employment opportunity data, known as an EEO-1 report. This report collects demographic workforce data including race/ethnicity, sex and job categories. Because it is a federally regulated program, we are not able to modify the categories. We acknowledge that some of the designations are not inclusive to all identities. For example, the data does not designate a non-binary gender option and may not coincide with how you identify in other ways. We hope one day we can all be federally (and globally) recognized by the identities we hold true to ourselves.
Column Five is not currently required to report this data, but we collect it as a way to track how we are doing in hitting our goals of reaching, at minimum, the national census numbers for applicant diversity. This is important to us as we’ve made commitments to expanding our company’s diversity. We track this data during recruiting cycles and modify our strategies to ensure we are reaching more communities and qualified applicants wherever they may live, and whatever identities they hold, nationally.