"Wikimedia Foundation, Inc." (501+ Employees, 29% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Wikimedia Foundation is seeking an IT Systems Specialist to co-lead our efforts in developing, integrating and managing our enterprise systems. You will play a key role in the hands-on integration and automation of these systems, while maintaining optimization and efficacy of current systems. Your goal will be to improve service and support workflows by leveraging data from our systems & current state analysis, reporting and ticket trends. You will co-lead in the process improvements of key workflows (onboarding/offboarding, equipment deployment, etc.).
Our ideal candidate will be excited to design and operationalize workflows in order to automate manual processes. This role will be a member of the Information Technology Services Team supporting staff based domestically and internationally. You will work within the ITS (IT Services) team building out, supporting and maintaining our internal IT systems.
You are responsible for:
- Leading efforts in implementing, supporting and enhancing internal specialized systems and processes such as OnBoarding/OffBoarding workflows
- Assist in Administration, management and optimization of our ERP systems (Zendesk, Okta, Google Workspace)
- Working closely with the Sr. Systems’ Administrator to effectively roll out new tools and updated operational processes
- Performing research and implementing technical solutions for internal systems and ensuring compliance with Foundation objectives.
- Implement reporting tools to provide health and relevance of internal systems work flows
- Plan and perform change management and adoption of new workflows impacted by the enhancement of enterprise architecture
- Engage with external vendors in order to scope and perform discovery of new tools and services
- Cross-departmental collaborations to build effective and efficient workflows
- Maintaining documentation of our portfolio of systems and support services (including visual maps)
- Providing Tier 3 technical assistance to Wikimedia Foundation staff globally
- Supporting Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and macOS operating systems
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with a hybrid environment that is undergoing rapid growth, evolving our current infrastructure to an Enterprise environment to support Business Operations worldwide
- Ability to perform and improve support workflows from beginning to end, ensuring proper report out is adhered to with a bias towards designing systems automation.
- Experience with the administration, integration and automation of the following tools and technologies: Google Workspace, OKTA, JumpCloud, JAMF, LDAP, Oomnitza, Zendesk, SaaS
- Experience with reporting analysis & documentation, including interpreting written information to draw connections and making recommendations
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively, both written and orally with non-technical partners
- Experience with vendor management and contract services
- Service-oriented approach: able to anticipate, understand and meet the needs of professionals.
- Be comfortable in a highly collaborative, communicative and consensus-oriented environment and proven ability to work well on a team, take instruction, and learn from mistakes.
- Familiarity and desire to work with languages to enable automation (e.g., Python, APIs)
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with remote first IT operations
- Familiarity with end-user security best practices
- Experience with network troubleshooting (TCPIP, DHCP, DNS, VLANs, 802.1x)
- Familiarity with VPN support, troubleshooting and configuration
- Familiarity with A/V support and troubleshooting experience (Zoom, Google Meet, Qsys)
- Awareness of sustainability practices
- Familiarity with Wikitext (wiki markup) language.
- Understanding of the free culture, free software, or online rights movements.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.