Mercato (51-200 Employees, 93% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Order your groceries from the best local markets and have them delivered straight to your door within hours.
The people of Mercato exist to support healthy and vibrant communities through food. Mercato is the nation’s fastest growing online grocery marketplace, built exclusively for independent, local grocery stores. We empower grocers with everything they need to sell online an exclusive customer marketplace, a nationwide delivery network, marketing tools, analytics, insights, and specialized member benefit programs.
Founded in 2015, Mercato was inspired by experiences Founder and CEO Bobby Brannigan had working at his family’s grocery store in New York. Bobby realized first-hand that the 40,000+ independent grocery stores in the US lacked the technology and infrastructure to keep up with current consumer demands driven by eCommerce experiences.
Today, Mercato has thousands of merchants and millions of consumers on its platform, and recently closed $26 million in Series A funding. To keep up with this growth, we are looking for highly motivated members to join our team, as we strive to help local grocery stores compete and win against bigger chains.
We are looking for a Full-Stack Lead Engineer to join our team to help us build the technical foundations for a best-in-class shopping experience. Our team is growing and evolving rapidly, and this role will have an outsized impact in shaping the direction of our technology roadmap and our team culture for years to come.
- Provide technical guidance for the team, including creating and reviewing technical designs, code reviews, and driving long-term architectural improvements
- This is a hands-on role, with the expectation that some level of coding will be required. The ideal candidate will have the experience to determine the best balance between hands-on development tasks and other responsibilities, depending on the current needs of the team.
- While this is not a direct management role, we are looking for someone who can provide mentorship and constructive feedback for the team (and anyone else across the organization), as well as encouraging a culture of learning and growth.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, and other business stakeholders to review the roadmap and provide guidance on technical implementation, especially trade-offs between multiple alternatives. Collaborate with product managers to translate business requirements into user stories.
- Contribute to larger architecture and infrastructure initiatives that will impact the entire Engineering organization
- 7 years or more of full-stack web application development or related experience
- Expertise with SQL and relational databases (MySQL/Postgres), including factors that affect database/query performance and best practices for schema design
- Familiarity with Sass and CSS
- Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals including data structures and algorithms
- Demonstrated experience with enterprise architecture patterns, preferably in a microservice environment
- Experience with different types of test automation frameworks (unit / integration / end-to-end tests) and best practices
- Strong communications and leadership skills
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured environment, working autonomously to find opportunities to deliver business impact
- Track record of continuous improvement, both for yourself and your team. Proactively seeks and provides constructive feedback.
- Experience with being a hands-on manager or tech lead, especially in a remote/distributed setting
- Experience with AWS tools and ecosystem
- Experience with Kafka, Kinesis, or similar systems
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch, Solr, or similar search engines
- Familiarity with Linux, command line, and shell scripting
- Experience with a microservice architecture and CI/CD environment
- Previous experience at a start-up or high-growth internal team
- E-commerce experience
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy; paid holidays
- Get in on the ground floor and shape the strategic direction and culture of a growing company
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- Work with top-notch team where your voice will always be heard
- Upbeat work environment at a company with a huge vision