General Motors (501+ Employees, 25% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
About the role:
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Strategy, this role will be responsible for collaborating on strategic projects, communication, and coordinated execution of GM’s strategy process and corresponding strategic initiatives. This leader will be involved in evaluating and challenging the status quo and develop strategies that disrupt the business towards GM’s continued growth and transformation to be the most admired automotive company and to achieve the goal of Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion. Key for this position is the focus on partnering with the Director, Corporate Strategy, on a coherent corporate strategy and executing the corresponding strategic initiatives across the company with the goal of driving success for the core business while propelling GM into future market opportunities.
This person will be expected to develop, activate and drive growth strategies by:
- Leading strategic projects; defining the scope, questions to be answered, analysis required to define the strategic direction and executing the work
- Demonstrating the capabilities of intellectual curiosity, comfort with ambiguity
- Decision making grounded in data analytics
- Bringing ideas to continuously refine and improve the core business
- Identifying growth opportunities
- Managing teams, aligning cross-functional groups and driving to outcomes
- People management and development; using the apprenticeship model to develop strategic toolkit broadly in the organization
- Disrupting the status quo and driving innovation to transform the way business is conducted
- Collaborating on the strategic direction of growth opportunities
- Identifying long-term trends and outlook
- Conducting competitive intelligence beyond the core business
- Exploration of potential M&A/JV/partnership opportunities to strengthen the portfolio of mission-aligned growth initiatives
- Build credibility and trust with leaders across the organization to achieve collaborative implementation of growth strategies
- Lead strategic initiatives through the development of work plans, gathering and generation of relevant data, driving analyses, and the development of actionable recommendations
- Engage the business in defining and refining business strategies with a focus on designing and implementing new strategic approaches, ideas and processes that will grow the business and provide measurable results
- Work in close collaboration with key internal business partners such as Planning, R&D/GM Ventures, Innovation, Customer Experience, Corporate Development, among others.
- Activate external networks as ‘sensory nodes’ to identify new areas of growth, joint business development, and compelling adjacencies for GM’s future business.
Additional Job Description
- Proven and successful track record of developing and driving strategic and purpose-driven growth initiatives
- Strength and depth of experience in corporate strategy: formulation, activation, and execution coordination. Demonstrated strategy DNA developed from significant experience in strategy consulting or internal strategy leadership roles. Strong business and financial acumen.
- Knowledge and experience gained from leadership roles in relevant customer-oriented industries with particular focus on businesses that have successfully undergone digital transformation and technology-driven change. Automotive sector experience is not a requirement, but technology-oriented industries will be an advantage.
- Strong leadership skills including building relationships internally and externally, influencing others, collaborative problem solving, and effective partnership with key internal stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with others while driving results.
- Operates with a sharp eye towards understanding customer needs and ability to translate into initiatives that shape offerings to address those needs.
- Goes beyond strategy definition and into effective execution.
- Strong project management skills with a keen attention to detail and operations with a sense of urgency to move from ideas to action.
- Comfort with ambiguity.
- Possesses high energy and resilience. Drawn to and skilled at solving complex problems. A leader with the thinking dexterity to anticipate business opportunities and to adapt the business to pursue accordingly.
- A passion for the transportation and technology industries.
- Strong and consistent personal ethics and a high sense of integrity.
- A culture carrier; values a positive culture with strong principles.
- Genuinely passionate about people and their development.
- Agile and intellectually curious.
- Strong grasp of data and analytics to ground decision making.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.