Rakuten Americas (501+ Employees, 8% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
ShopStyle Collective is a monetization platform for fashion content creators. Influencers earn a commission on sales from items linked via the ShopStyle product catalog. Our network of more than 15,000 bloggers, vloggers, Instagrammers and app developers empower fashion-focused shopping across their respective channels. Learn more at shopstylecollective.com.
We are looking for a hands-on manager for the Collective team at ShopStyle. As the Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the Campaign Application development for ShopStyle Collective. This is a great opportunity to join, manage and lead a team of exceptional engineers in a highly collaborative environment where we value transparent communication, feedback, and code reviews. You will be working with a lot of data and the latest technology stacks resulting in a high impact on the business.
Our engineering team is multi-functional, co-located with product and design. Working side by side with the product team, the engineering team develops and maintains a global monetization and media platform for fashion and lifestyle influencers. The platform currently includes full-featured analytics, revenue processing, internal campaign tools, as well as a website and native iOS and Android applications. Together, this technology enables influencers to grow their business by creating shoppable content and then monitor the content’s performance over time.
We need someone who is technically strong, energetic, organized, highly collaborative and passionate about the product and our influencers. You will manage and lead a team of exceptional engineers working on public and internal campaign applications written in languages and frameworks such as Java and Angular. We work in a collaborative environment where we value transparent communication, feedback, code reviews, and making learning fun.
Our philosophy of bringing the very best to our customers extends to our employees, who are the driving force behind our vision. With offices in San Francisco, San Mateo, New York, Wisconsin and London, we are passionate about our culture and are always seeking talented, creative individuals to help us change the way people shop.
- Hands-on development of Product features
- Lead a multi-talented team of frontend, backend, and data engineers
- Drive the execution and delivery of features by collaborating with many cross functional teams, product owners, UX and engineers
- Hold your own when discussing strategy, architecture, and technical tradeoffs with engineers
- Provide performance reviews, career development plans, and ensure your team is happy and effective
- Grow the engineering team by interviewing and hiring new engineers
- Lead by example and demonstrate the core values of our company and culture.
- Create a positive energy work environment
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience working remote, or managing people in a remote setting
- Experience with relational databases and/or NoSQL databases
- Excellent understanding of OOP design principles (loose coupling, encapsulation, etc.)
- Strong experience with Scrum and Git
- Strong communication skills with engineers and non-technical people
- Comfortable in a fast-moving environment
- A love of mobile and web consumer applications
- Experience working within a distributed microservices architecture
- Experience with Spring MVC, AWS, Elasticsearch, Spark, Docker and JIRA
- Experience maintaining a Jenkins build pipeline
- Experience managing QA engineers
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 6+ years of software development experience with Java or C#, Java is preferred
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
Five Principles for Success
Rakuten Group has an unswerving commitment to building an egalitarian society by empowering individuals and companies to be successful in business and in life. The Five Principles for Success are designed to keep each of us on track, to ensure we make continuous progress toward our ultimate goals.
Always Improve, Always Advance
There are only two kinds of people in the world:
Best Effort people are satisfied with the status quo; when they fail, they console themselves by saying “I did my best.”
Get Things Done people are absolutely committed to reaching their goals.
With enough determination and effort-by being a Get Things Done person-you can achieve anything.
Rakuten is an organization composed of true professionals.
Real professionals in any field-whether in sports, the arts, science, business or anything else-only reach the top because they have the self-discipline to develop and improve themselves continuously.
Only by consistently working many times harder than our competitors can we consistently win.
Hypothesize → Practice → Validate → Shikumika
Success in business depends on making and executing concrete specific action plans.
Maximize Customer Satisfaction
Rakuten is first and foremost a service company. We’re proud to serve our customers and we ceaselessly seek to improve their experience.
Speed!! Speed!! Speed!!
The internet makes the window of opportunity for every small business. Accomplish in one month what it takes other companies a year to do, because we can only win by being many times faster than our competitors.