Meta (formerly Facebook) (501+ Employees, 34% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Over the last decade, Meta has invested billions in partnership with telecom companies, OEMs, policymakers, and the wider industry to improve connectivity worldwide. From ongoing open, collaborative efforts such as the Telecom Infra Project (TIP), country-specific and international spectrum advocacy, and work with the Wi-Fi Alliance; to technologies like Magma, an open-source software platform that helps operators deploy mobile networks. The move to the Metaverse is an unprecedented opportunity for the connectivity industry. It must be built on a foundation of openness and interoperability and be accessible to as many people as possible. The Meta Connectivity team makes the bleeding edge technologies that will allow our subsequent billion users to access Metaverse. Metaverse requires people to have access to competent internet networks. Our projects aim to increase connectivity for people with access to existing but inadequate network infrastructures. Through the Telecom Infra Project (TIP), Meta has partnered with over 500 global technology and telecom leaders to design, build, and deploy new telecom technologies. Our objectives are to make the Metaverse a reality via developing significant advancements in network latency, symmetrical bandwidth, and overall speed of networks. And accelerate the adoption of open and disaggregated Technologies, such as OpenRAN, Disaggregated Cell Site Router (DCSG), OpenBNG, and OpenWiFi.This role will involve extensive lab work, testing, and validation of new technologies within Meta and TIP programs. The role requires having a deep, strategic understanding of company priorities and making technical decisions to solve business problems, drawing on ground-breaking specialized experience, a sense of risk, and an ability to navigate different perspectives and priorities. You will work closely with OEM and CSP partners. You will contribute to conceiving, developing, and launching tools to support Metaverse-enabled networks.
Network Engineer, Low Latency Responsibilities:
- Design and implement networks and services that operate efficiently in a constrained environment yet, when pressed, can efficiently deliver large volumes of data with consistent low latency and high bandwidth.
- Monitor performance and proactively avoid bottlenecks by upgrading or optimizing relevant designs/components.
- Define Service Level Objectives (SLOs) network performance to achieve a desired quality of experience.
- Identify the key roles and partnerships throughout the ecosystem and analytics for measuring networks’ capabilities.
- Determine how the measured QoE drives actionable insights for network improvements. Identify and develop technology to enhance networks’ readiness for the Metaverse.
- Simultaneously deliver enhanced speeds and ultra-low and consistent latency and jitter both fixed and mobile networks via cross-layer and cross-domain optimizations.
- Help industry to move toward open interfaces for sharing metrics between OSI layers and network domains.
- Experience applying a broad and comprehensive understanding of multiple functional areas and their underlying business principles.
- Resourceful, action-orientated with experience in getting things done, overcoming obstacles, and developing creative solutions to problems.
- Hands-on experience designing and deploying scaled network solutions at mobile network operators (MNO), regional ISP, or Telcos.
- 12+ years of experience in multiple technology disciplines and network engineering experience.
- Experience in at least one programming language like Python, Perl, C/C++, or Go for developing automation software or tooling.
- Cross-functional leadership skills, experience in communicating risks and action plans to stakeholders and senior leadership.
- Time management and project management skills, experience managing multiple projects simultaneously within a constrained schedule.
- Interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross-functional team of key stakeholders and business leaders.
- Understanding of low latency protocols and tools such as L4S, DCTCP, microburst, buffer sizing, eBPF, RDMA, ROCEv2, WebRTC, RTP, QUIC, Prague, BBR, FEC, AQMs such as DualPI2.
- Solid understanding of hardware components such as CPU, Memory, and GPU requirements for connectivity solutions.
- Knowledge of HFCC and iOAM.
- Understanding of timing synchronization, experience with PTP implementations.
- Understanding of Layer 1 switching for low latency applications.
- Experience configuring and deploying VMs and Cloud Infrastructure (AWS, Azure).
- Understanding of protocol level features such as QUIC spin bit and ECN ECE bit.
- Working experience in 3G/4G/5G transceiver architecture and algorithm research (L1/L2), link- and system-level simulation, HW/SW verification, and field trial experience.
- Skilled in C/C++/MATLAB/Script tool/Python/Verilog.
- Extensive experience with Network (L3 routing, switching) and Security (perimeter firewalls, load-balancing) technologies.
- Experience deploying low-latency networks.
- Experience with colocation strategy, specific to proximity hosting and exchange connectivity.
- Understanding cloud-RAN, massive MIMO, baseband signal processing, resource scheduling, and RAN slicing in 4G/5G.
- Knowledge of application-aware Radio Access networks, Low-Latency communication and networking, 5G/6G network architecture design.
- Participated in industry standardization bodies such as IETF, ITU, 3GPP or IEEE.
- Experience with carrier backhaul technologies, including microwave and optical transport networks.
- Understanding of Wi-Fi technologies and end-user access networking.
- Knowledge in communication system architecture and protocol design, cross-layer network optimization, and signal processing algorithm.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]