Rakuten Americas (501+ Employees, 8% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
The Network Engineer is part of the Cloud Platform Department which provides mission critical large-scale infrastructure services for various Rakuten businesses across the globe. The department manages the production infrastructure and network connectivity both within and between data centers and public clouds via the global backbone. The Network Engineer supports cloud infrastructure operations, implementations, and service-oriented infrastructure strategies. The responsibilities include contributing to a wide range of projects from automation, data center build outs, network upgrades, monitoring / telemetry, and cloud platform infrastructure services.
- Design, build and operate Rakuten cloud infrastructure systems, networks, platforms (e.g., release, update/patch, version control)
- Contribute to cloud infrastructure automation (Networking and Linux)
- Support infrastructure automation CI/CD, Jenkins, Git workflow
- Support the build out and refresh of on-prem cloud compute platforms, data center and backbone network infrastructure
- Manage initiatives and projects mentioned with limited technical and organizational scope
- Document solutions to routine problems, challenge status quo and drive improvements within the infrastructure technology stack
- Tier 2 operation support;: leverage industry knowledge, various analysis, and performance tools, participate in a 24×7 globally distributed on-call
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to manage and troubleshoot core infrastructure technologies: linux systems, network routers, switches, load balancers
- Ability to automate, orchestrate and manage cloud infrastructure using (3) of the following options: Chef, Ansible, Vagrant, Terraform, Jenkins, Python, APIs
- Knowledge of Linux operating systems, command-line interfaces, network routing and switching protocols
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP and OSI model
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting the following network technologies: BGP, OSPF, NAT, ACLs, VLANs, STP, LAG, SNMP
- Experience with different physical network cabling and transceiver types and standards.
Basic understanding of the following:
- IP backbone technologies MPLS (L2/L3 VPN, LDP, RSVP)
- VXLAN EVPN, MP-BGP, VRFs
- Networking within a public cloud such as AWS, Azure, GCP
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology related field or equivalent experience
- Linux or network certification
- 3+ years’ experience managing on-prem infrastructure (Linux & Networking)
- 1+ years’ experience with automation, coding or scripting
RAKUTEN SHUGI PRINCIPLES
Our worldwide practices describe specific behaviors that make Rakuten unique and united across the world. We expect Rakuten employees to model these 5 Shugi Principles of Success.
- Always improve, always advance. Only be satisfied with complete success – Kaizen.
- Be passionately professional. Take an uncompromising approach to your work and be determined to be the best.
- Hypothesize – Practice – Validate – Shikumika. Use the Rakuten Cycle to success in unknown territory.
- Maximize Customer Satisfaction. The greatest satisfaction for workers in a service industry is to see their customers smile.
- Speed!! Speed!! Speed!! Always be conscious of time. Take charge, set clear goals, and engage your team.