General Motors (501+ Employees, 25% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Remote work position: This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis. In the USA this is an employee who lives more than 100 miles from their designated, primary worksite.
This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-4 x per year.
Lead the advanced development, flawless execution, and technical strategies for off-road simulation, assessment, and performance. Serve as the virtual off-road vehicle expert for General Motors while coaching fellow vehicle dynamics and development engineers. Partner with Advanced Leads, Ride & Handling Engineers, Design & Release peers, Vehicle Performance Owners (VPO’s), Noise & Vibration and Virtual Design Development & Validation (VDDV) Tech Specialist’s to achieve winning off road performance on GM’s off-road variants. The candidate should be an off-road enthusiast and have firsthand experience with the challenges that are associated with operating a vehicle off-road. This person will need the ability to understand the relationship between component/subsystem/system/vehicle capabilities and how they impact the customer off-road experience. Additionally, this person will need to know how to develop strategies to define/assess/achieve the desired performance including loads/structural development. All the above needs to be achieved in line with Vision 2025 of moving to full virtual design, development, and validation.
- Ownership of vehicle off-road virtual assessment methods, capabilities, and strategic plan to execute metric development with multibody dynamic simulation
- Provide mentorship and support to Vehicle Dynamics Engineers through performance evaluations, formal and informal training, and creating new standard work/processes
- Define and lead a strategic plan to enable virtual off-road development and validation
- Support Advanced Vehicle Dynamics Leads and the Off-Road Capabilities Vehicle Performance Owner (VPO) in architecting future programs
- Supporting the Vehicle Technical Specifications (VTS) and Peer Reviews.
- Provide technical leadership for new off-road features and technologies.
- Support advanced technology work (ATW) related to vehicle off-road performance and competitive benchmarking.
- Serve as the global industry expert for vehicle off-road virtual simulation at GM.
- Preserve the technical memory of vehicle dynamics.
- Consult with fellow Vehicle Performance Owners (VPO’s) and Feature Owners (FO’s) for component selections to meet system and vehicle requirements.
- Define and support VTS/Performance strategies/structural needs for new vehicle entries.
- Oversee the engineering and execution of Global Technical Strategies for vehicle off-road simulation, assessment, loads and performance.
- Exercise professional expertise critical to long-term strategic success of GM in off-road performance simulation related areas.
- Generate, support and maintain off-road performance metrics (mobility and motivity)
- Clearly define environmental and utilization sources of noise/variation that will need to be considered for design and validation purposes
- Assisting Feature Owners, Program Team and others with core architecture definition
- Working knowledge of the major vehicle systems utilized for off-road performance (e.g., driveline, suspension, braking, steering, vision, etc.), vehicle dynamics, and real-time embedded control systems
- Strong working knowledge of the off-road competitive market, trends and technologies
- Program execution experience, including knowledge of GVDP milestone expectations and deliverables
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, motivate and inspire non-direct reports and others
- Working knowledge of specifications, analysis, statistical methods, and development tools.
- High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex.
- Ability to interact with organizational leaders inside and outside GM
- Interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally to grow relationships and partnerships
- Must be action oriented, high initiative individual that is able to work independently with minimal leadership direction
- Proven track record of dealing with ambiguity
- Ability to manage a multitude of assignments with high levels of composure and effective implementation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an understanding of global communication issues
- Demonstrates innovative and strategic thinking and initiative to act in support of positive change
- Demonstrates honesty, integrity and trust. Leads by example.
- Competent with conflict management and complex problem solving
- Ability to hold employees and related groups accountable for deliverables
- Knowledge and operational understanding of GM Policies and Procedures, & administrative and engineering systems and tools used by work team
- Experience with Virtual Develop, Design and Validation (VDDV) methods (preferred)
- Component design/release/sourcing or related experience (preferred)
- This position requires either a U.S. Person (as defined in applicable export regulations) or a non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain required export authorization(s)
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or Business (preferred)
- DFSS Black Belt Certified preferred
- Certified in off-road driving levels 3S and 3D (preferred)
Compensation: The compensation information is a good faith estimate only. It is based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid in accordance with Colorado law. The compensation may not be representative for positions located outside of Colorado.
The median level of salary compensation for this role is $161,295.57.
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.