Knack (11-50 Employees, 30% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Hi, thanks for reading about our Operations Associate opportunity! We’re glad you’re here.
We’re Knack, a code-free platform used by thousands of customers — from non-profits to the world’s biggest companies — to easily build custom apps, workflows, and databases.
Knack is a 100% remote company with a culture rooted in giving you the autonomy to define how you can do the best work of your career.
We’re looking for a creative, outgoing, super-organized Operations Associate to assist in promoting a collaborative and supportive culture while optimizing all aspects of how Knack functions behind the scenes. This person will report directly to our Operations lead, get a peak behind the Knack curtain, contribute in meaningful ways across our organization, and have a meaningful impact on the lives of our team and end-users.
Knack is and has always been a 100% remote company. We started as a remote company so we know what it takes to ensure the success of a distributed team. TLDR: that essentially means that each member of the team has a huge amount of autonomy and ownership to define their work and impact.
We also emphasize the journey over the destination. We’re looking for applicants that are opinionated about what matters to them and want to join a fun, passionate, close-knit crew of high-quality human beings that, above all, enjoy working together. Hopefully, that’s you!
In this role, you will:
Assist with people operations
- Be a steward of our company culture and assist in ensuring it permeates every corner of the company
- Plan and host virtual company engagement events
- Innovate ways to engage with our virtual international team
- Help with the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding of new Knackleheads
- Be an additional point of contact for internal people operations inquiries
Assist with event planning (retreats & user conferences)
- Research vendors and venues
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders about event logistics
- Assist with activity facilitation
- Own travel bookings – flight purchases, ground transportation coordination, etc.
Assist with general operations
- Pitch in on recurring general operations tasks such as insurance renewals, financial projects, etc.
- Own various other administrative tasks that may arise from time to time
- Generally assist with the creation and implementation of new processes and tools
- Own our accounts receivable process and be the point of contact for our manually invoiced customers
We’re looking for someone who is:
- A phenomenal communicator – Communication is the lifeblood of a successful remote company and a successful Operations Associate. You’ll need to know how to work transparently while also being keenly aware of when to keep sensitive and confidential information under-wraps. Documenting processes and guidelines in a clear, replicable way is something that you are experienced in.
- People centric – We’re big believers in putting our team and our users at the center of everything we do. You’ll need to have the ability and desire to build rapport with internal team members in order to do your job well and in a way that supports the unique needs of our people. We are looking for an outgoing advocate for team connection and collaboration.
- Experienced in event planning – We’d love to find a candidate who has planned at least a few events, ideally events IRL. We’re looking for someone who loves the detail management, organization, and orchestration of moving parts that comes along with ensuring an event runs smoothly.
- Experienced in the world of operations – We’re looking for applicants who have 2+ year’s worth of experience in an operations or administrative role, ideally in a remote setting. You’ll contribute to and own a variety of processes and procedures and are excited by this.
- Works well under ambiguous circumstances – Not only is the ability to be self-driven and to hold yourself accountable critically important in remote environments, but even more so in operations roles. The solutions to the problems you’ll face in this role won’t always be clear. You’ll need to have the fortitude to keep doing good work in the face of uncertainty.
- Exceptionally organized – Having your hands in so many aspects of a company means you need to have the ability to keep track of it all without letting important items slip through the cracks. To that end, if you apply for this position, be sure to mention coffee in your response to the “What excites you most about this opportunity” question.
- A time-management savant – Not only will you have to have fantastic time management skills in order to move work forward, but also the ability to cut down on distractions to ensure you’re not constantly context switching (which can be easy to do in this role). We’re looking for someone willing and able to set hard boundaries to this end.
- Tenacious and curious – Knowledge and skill can only take you so far. Those that have a hunger to learn, explore, experiment, sometimes even fail, and keep going will arguably go even farther. If you feel like maybe you don’t quite stack up to the demands of this role, but still have a firey, burning desire to do this work well, that’s a good sign – apply!
Knack launched in 2012 with one simple goal: to enable everyone to do amazing things with their data.
Knack makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to make their data useful. Our customers use Knack to run their processes, departments, or even their entire companies.
We’ve been growing steadily since as we’ve built our team, perfected our product, and nailed our product-market fit.
So how are we different?
- We’re bootstrapped: we’ve had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
- We’re 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we’ve made has been based on optimizing our remote operations.
- We take culture seriously: We’re not one of those companies that just slaps some cultural adjectives down in a handbook article then calls it a day. We use our cultural values as our north stars and even have an always active culture committee that is dedicated to ensuring that our culture is maintained and evolves as we grow.
- We’re all a little weird: and we like it that way. We’re more than just chat avatars; we’ve all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
- We enjoy the journey: we’re in this for the long haul. We’re not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We’re building something we’re proud of and want to keep improving on.
Benefits & Perks
The biggest benefit of Knack is getting to alongside our awesome team of Knackleheads. We’re a funny, humble, talented team of delightful human beings that, above all, enjoy working with each other, growing with each other, and supporting each other.
These benefits aren’t that bad either, though:
- Define your work: find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It’s not about separation, it’s about optimization. Our only rule is an overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST.
- Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You’ll get required days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
- Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
- HealthCare: we offer health, vision, and dental, covering 75% of the premium for you and your dependents (spouse + children).
- 401(k): we give you the option to automatically deduct funds from your pay to stash them away for your golden years (currently non-matching, but stay tuned!)
- Equal opportunity: we push everyone to maximize their impact on our product and company–we strongly value all of our people, regardless of title or seniority.
- Family support: we offer a generous paid family leave to welcome any new additions to your family.
- Tech: we provide a top-of-the-line PC or MacBook
We are also passionate about learning and professional development. We provide multiple learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow:
- Long-term growth and learning plans, with regular check-ins to help you level up on what’s important to you.
- Have executive-level visibility into how the company is run and performing, including revenue.
- Use an annual allowance to stay on top of your game with training, classes, conferences, and workshops.
Note for international applicants: We are only able to offer a majority of these benefits to US hires.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Knack welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We’re proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity.
How To Apply
Are you currently so excited to apply that you can barely type? Then we want to hear from you! You can apply for this position by filling out the form below.
We review applications in batches, so don’t worry if you don’t hear from us right away. Qualified candidates will move on to video interviews to discuss the position in detail, meet the team, and talk through the fit. We’re also big believers in paid trials whenever logistically possible.