Origin (51-200 Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
About the Company
Headquartered in West Sacramento, Origin Materials is the world’s leading carbon negative materials company. Origin’s mission is to enable the world’s transition to sustainable materials. Over the past 10 years, Origin has developed a platform for turning the carbon found in non-food biomass into useful materials, while capturing carbon in the process. Origin’s patented drop-in core technology, economics and carbon impact have been validated by trusted third parties and are supported by a growing list of major global customers and investors. Origin’s first plant, located in Sarnia, Ontario Canada is expected to be operational in 2023 with a second, full-scale commercial plant expected to be operational by 2025 and plans for additional expansion over the next decade. For more information, visit www.originmaterials.com.
Origin Materials believes in protecting its employees and the community and, as such, requires employees who come on site to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Origin provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. When you take a job at Origin, you do more than switch companies or advance your career. You become part of the Origin community: an inclusive group of hardworking, uniquely talented people who drive innovation.
Benefits and Perks
You will work with great people. You will be joining a close-knit group of A+ players who like to hustle, create, and work hard because we believe in Origin’s mission: to enable the world’s transition to sustainable materials.
You will make a difference. We’re working on big things, so every person can make make an impact.
You will grow. There are endless opportunities at Origin to learn and improve. You’ll be surrounded by great minds and presented with big challenges. And you and your teammates will support one another in overcoming those challenges.
You will enjoy excellent benefits. We offer a wide range of insurance including Medical and Dental, Vision, Disability, and Life, as well as a 401k, EAP, and generous leave.
You will have flexibility. We don’t believe in one size fits all when it comes to work location and schedule. We care about safety and efficiency so work where and when you are at your best. While we try to be as flexible as possible and allow our team to work various hours in various locations, some positions do require daily, onsite work. Also, we recognize our team works hard so we want you to take time off when you need it. That’s why we have a flexible time off policy.
About the Position
You will be responsible for:
- Managing the company’s IP docket
- Maintaining up-to-date records of different IP cases, including updating relevant documents and “decision logic” to the company’s IP portfolio management software
- Working within the company’s IP portfolio management software and training others in its use as needed
- Collecting, storing and managing literature references from the company’s filings and prosecution
- Collecting and managing relevant technical references (academic articles and other patents)
- Providing necessary information related to the IP docket to relevant persons within the company for reporting/compliance purposes
- Providing updates to interested stakeholders including monthly reports on application status and upcoming prosecution deadlines
- Monitoring and tracking monthly costs and their approval, including:
- Reviewing invoices from our external counsel and other service providers for compliance with billing guidelines
- Coordinating internal invoice approvals
- Updating the company’s IP expense tracker
- Scheduling internal and external IP discussions
- Coordinating input on IP from internal stakeholders
General legal/contracts duties
- Coordinating electronic and wet-signatures and scheduling notaries
- Assisting with filling out forms (new customer, insurance applications)
- Pulling documents when requested (NDA checks, certificates of incorporation)
- Calendar updates for the Legal team including scheduling meetings
- Collecting Insurance COIs from brokers
- Checking and forward Legal voicemails
- Serving as the Legal Department’s representative to Origin’s Department Representatives group and IT Team
- In command of deadlines and communicating early and often on progress toward meeting them
- Are precise with language because you understand words have potentially significant legal consequences
- Have excellent organization skills, particularly with managing documents across different databases
- Are devoted to timeliness and responsiveness (and timely responses)
- Can capably prioritize and manage multiple parallel projects
- Enjoy reducing matters to their essential logic and effectively communicating that logic to people unfamiliar with the matters
Have to Have it:
- Law firm, docketing, and/or intellectual property paralegal experience (>2 years)
- Experience working with intellectual property management software
- Paralegal certificate
- Experience with patent prosecution work
- Technical background in chemistry