We are Zego – a commercial motor insurance provider that powers opportunities for businesses, from entire fleets of vehicles to self-employed drivers and riders. We combine best-in-class technology with sophisticated data sources to offer insurance products that save businesses time and money.
Since our inception, we have believed that the problem with traditional insurance is that it holds businesses back. It’s too expensive and time consuming, and it no longer suits businesses who use vehicles to earn money. Our products represent a solution to this problem for businesses based across the UK, Europe and beyond.
So far, we have raised over $200 million in funding and we were the first UK insurtech to be valued at over $1 billion. We were also the first to be awarded our own insurance license and recently won Tech Company of the Year 2020.
At Zego, we are proud to say we have a diverse and inclusive team, unified by our shared values and mission. Our people are the most important part of our story and everybody at Zego, no matter their role, has an integral part to play.
Overview of the Data Science team
The mission of the Data Science team at Zego is to leverage novel data sources and modern computational tools to deliver value through data-driven insights, personalised pricing and insurance product innovation. It is a growing team, responsible for all the aspects related to data, including data sourcing, cleaning, extraction, problem formulation, implementing and testing models, productionising new exciting tools and algorithms and designing scalable tools, practices, and systems to support data science analysis and deployment. The team partners closely with Product, Pricing, Engineering and wider Commercial and Business functions to find the best ways to incorporate statistical models and evidence-based decision making into Zego’s products and processes.
Purpose of the role
The Data Science team (Pricing R&D squad) is looking for an ambitious Analyst with insurance pricing experience who wants to develop their skills with data science. This is a dynamic role where you will work closely with both Data Scientists and Actuaries to increase the maturity of our pricing analysis. You will play a key role in producing insight for our pricing innovation initiatives, bringing your attention to detail and statistical rigour to existing pricing projects and brand new greenfield projects.
Sitting at the heart of Zego’s industry leading data team, you will have the full support of Zego’s exceptional engineering, data and pricing teams to develop processes and tooling for model analysis, impact assessment, price simulation, and performance monitoring. You will work on projects involving automation, statistics, product analysis and machine learning giving you a wide range of exposure and plenty of chances to develop as a data professional.
The role is ideally suited to a candidate with existing general insurance pricing experience. You will have proven skills using a programming language such as Python (or R), skill with SQL, and a understanding of good development practices (git, code review, documentation). You will be given the support and backing you need to develop your skills, including on the job training, L&D budget, and a personal career development plan.
About the role
- You will dive into the heart of Zego pricing R&D efforts and help to build market leading pricing analytics capabilities.
- You will help to standardize and automate the analytics pipeline for use across the pricing organisation.
- You will translate the pricing-related business requirements into KPIs and set up tools for continuous monitoring.
- You will conduct pre- and post-deployment impact analysis to quantify the success of new strategies and pricing implementations.
- You will work with actuaries to develop operational and analytical processes for efficient launch of new products and features.
- You will analyze pricing performance to synthesize actionable insights that will help define strategies to achieve profitable growth.
- You will be the primary contact and collaborate with the rest of the data and product functions to automate and enhance performance reporting.
- You will communicate data-led recommendations to senior stakeholders, both written and orally.
- You will collaborate with data scientists to build predictive models for retention, conversion, loss ratios, and customer lifetime value.
- You will champion a data-driven approach as you partner with stakeholders of different seniority showcasing your inclination as an outstanding individual contributor and develop into other senior roles.
- You will use modern tools and methods and techniques to promote automation in Zego’s pricing operations.
- You will constantly generate new research ideas, building a case and presenting your findings to propel capability forward.
- You must be willing to embrace change and show flexibility in assignments and the work environment
- You have BSc/BA in Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science or similarly quantitative disciplines.
- You have 2+ years of experience as an analyst, preferably in pricing or insurance related roles.
- You are strongly proficient working with and querying structured data using SQL.
- You are experienced in Python (or R) applied to data analysis and visualisation.
- You are familiar with BI software such as Looker, Tableau and other data visualisation and monitoring tools.
- You have experience and enthusiasm for reproducible research techniques including version control (geg. Git & Github etc.).
- You have outstanding eye to detail and take care to make sure that your work is accurate and effective.
- You have the ability to present complex information in an easily digestible format, appropriate for the audience.
- You are a lifelong learner; as technologies and techniques are constantly evolving, you are proactively pushing yourself to develop your skills and knowledge.
- You are resilient to change and use a holistic view of the business to ensure your goals are aligned and your work has impact.
- You have a graduate degree in a highly quantitative discipline such as Applied Mathematics, Physics or Computer Science.
- You have previous experience in a fast-growing scale-up.
- You have previous experience in the insurance industry in an actuarial role.
- You are familiar with common statistical tools and methods employed in insurance analysis, such as generalised linear models (GLMs), classification and regression trees (CARTs), ensembling methods, and clustering approaches.
- Experience with large-scale analytics on AWS platform.