Thinkific / Thinktific (201-500 Employees, 294% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
We believe in having a transparent hiring process to provide a fair and inclusive experience to all our candidates.
Our team is dedicated to ensuring you have a great candidate experience, and that starts with outlining our hiring process from start to finish so you know what to expect every step of the way (no surprises!)—click here to learn more!
Are you an experienced Principal Engineer or Architect who is looking for an exciting new challenge? Do you want to challenge the status quo, provide constructive feedback, and bring out the best in your peers? If you’re someone who thinks strategically, is passionate about data, and has long-range goals in mind, this role at Thinkific may be the perfect fit for you!
As our first Principal Data Engineer at Thinkific, you’ll design and build a scalable, world-class data platform that will power decision-making for Thinkers (that’s what we call our team members) and our Customers. Working with the Data team, you will make it easy to answer three questions: What happened in the past? What is happening now? What will happen in the future? Through your work, you’ll impact the Software Engineers who use our data capture tools and consume data streams, Data Engineers who incorporate this data into our data warehouse, and Thinkific Customers who use our data to understand their students.
In this role, you will:
- Provide the vision and roadmap for a scalable, resilient, high quality data platform to support our internal and external data needs, including business analytics, data science, and data products
- Collaborate with the Engineering, Product, and Data teams to get buy-in and alignment on the execution of this data platform using software development and agile best practices
- Advocate for and contribute to our data team’s culture and operate with Thinkific’s core values and principles
- Recommend and incorporate new technologies, tools, and processes to improve the way we work
- Question the status quo while pushing back on potentially harmful decisions, all while tackling challenges in unknown territory
To be successful in this role, you likely:
- Have 5+ years of experience working in data infrastructure or data engineering, with 3+ years of that as a Senior Engineer, Technical Lead, or Architect
- Are an expert in at least 1 programming language and web framework, understand software design and architecture, and have experience with analytical and software development processes within a SaaS business
- Demonstrate the ability to build out a sound technical roadmap based on input from technical and analytical stakeholders, best practices, and your past experience (and be able to execute on that roadmap)
- Are experienced with the consumption, transformation, and management of data from a wide variety of sources, including production databases, internal business systems, third party tools, event tracking, and event streaming services
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely attended post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- Have experience in business analysis, requirements gathering, and product management
- Are experienced in engineering for a wide range of devices
- Know how to build networks and community influence
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience with Ruby on Rails, Golang, and modern JS frameworks
- Have worked in a product-focused company previously
- Can effectively work in a distributed environment—you’ve likely had team members in different locations in the past
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we’re building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 50,000 course creators and more than 25 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us: