Pearson (501+ Employees, 2% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
As a Principal Engineer on the Pearson/MZD team you will be responsible for creating high quality applications that will reach organizations around the world. You will be a key team member helping to deliver a next generation global assessment platform. You will work with the engineers, UX designers and product owners to develop ground-breaking assessment experiences. The ideal candidate is self-sufficient and a strong team player who is curious and loves solving challenging problems.
Location: REMOTE – US
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Work with product and technology teams to innovate and evolve Pearson’s Assessment platform.
- Drive design and implementation decisions using principles and best practices. Make decisions that move the architecture forward; create best practices and patterns.
- Work collaboratively with other technology teams within Pearson leveraging solutions where appropriate.
- Mentor senior engineers and technical leads to make sound technical decisions and help build effective engineering practices. Build POCs where appropriate and turn POCs into production ready code.
- Participate in architecture, code, security and operational reviews.
- Drive a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement. Identify and introduce new technologies and patterns that elevate the platform.
- Be the go-to expert for technical solutions for various development teams.
- Computer Science degree with (Masters or above preferred) with 7- 10 years in software industry.
- Significant experience in building platforms requiring, high-scale, high-availability, performance and resilience.
- Prior experience selecting purpose driven database technologies, driven by use-cases and hands on operational expertise.
- Prior experience building platforms for the education industry.
- Proven experience architecting for the cloud with consideration for security and cost-effectiveness, preferably hand-on with AWS.
- Ability to navigate through different layers of the architecture with proficiency, in order to troubleshoot and find the root cause for an issue.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality SaaS products that serve millions of people.
- Proficient in designing modular architectures with good separation of concerns and data-modeling principles.
- Proficient in designing solutions that generate and leverage data to personalize the platform.
As required by the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, Pearson provides a reasonable range of minimum compensation for roles that may be hired in Colorado. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific office location. For the state of Colorado only, the range of starting pay for this role is $140k – $160k. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program, and information on benefits offered is here.
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here: http://www.pearson.com/careers/diversity-and-inclusion.html
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Organization: Assessment & Qualifications
Req ID: 5426