Course Hero (501+ Employees, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
LitCharts, a Course Hero company, is looking for a Product Designer to join our small, entirely remote team that builds educational products for millions of readers around the world! You’ll be responsible for designing projects that span across LitCharts and CliffsNotes (another Course Hero company) while collaborating with our product and development teams to build the world’s best customer-centric literary resource on the web. To be successful in this role, you must be passionate about improving our UI/UX design, advocating for our users, and understanding our business needs. You also need to thrive on working remotely and collaboratively with other members of our product, design, and tech teams.
This is a full-time remote role for candidates in the US and Canada only; some state and location limitations apply. Local candidates with immediate work authorization in the following locations will be prioritized: CA, NY, IL, AZ, UT, SC, OR, WA, TX, CO, IN, NJ, PA, VT, VA, MA in the United States or city of Toronto or Vancouver in Canada.
As a Product Designer–UI/UX at LitCharts, you’ll spend your days digging into our users’ needs—learning about their pain points, imagining new features, and turning insights into thoughtful and delightful experiences on two websites that we run, LitCharts and CliffsNotes. You will have the opportunity to own your work and collaborate with other team members on our team and throughout Course Hero.
Who we’re looking for:
A curious, positive, helpful, and humble problem solver who is a great communicator and will be excited to collaborate with us. We work flexible hours but typically stick to 9am-5pm ET and are looking for someone able to do the same.
What you’ll be doing:
- Translating product requirements into wireframes and high-fidelity designs
- Creating prototypes to communicate flows and interactions
- Working across teams to understand constraints and bring designs to life
- Planning and conducting user research and usability testing
- Brainstorming new ways to improve key parts of the LitCharts and CliffsNotes products
- Collaborating with the product team to ensure that written specs work with designs to direct development
What you’ll need:
- 1-2 years of industry experience in UI/UX Design
- An inspiring digital portfolio highlighting experience and examples of required skills
- Well-rounded UX knowledge (ie. crafting user flows and journeys, information architecture, prototyping, lo-fi and hi-fi wireframes)
- Strong UI and visual design skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to advocate for our users
- Experience using Figma
- Experience using design systems and component libraries
- Ability to simplify complex ideas and explain them to others
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Degree/certification in design or related field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience working on brand design, iconography or illustrations
- Experience working on a remote team
- Familiarity with front-end development (HTML, CSS, JS)
- A passion for literature, reading, or education
- Hobbies or interests outside of design
LitCharts, a Course Hero company, is working to make literature more accessible to readers at every level. Comprising both the LitCharts and CliffsNotes websites, our company serves more than 50 million students, teachers, parents, and general-interest readers to give them everything they need for everything they read. In originally creating LitCharts, the co-founders tapped into their experience as the original editors of SparkNotes to take a totally new approach to analyzing and explaining literature. Using side-by-side summaries, theme analysis, and interactive data visualizations, LitCharts helps teachers teach literature and helps students learn it. Now, after a recent acquisition, we are expanding that vision to also include CliffsNotes.
We’re committed to creating a supportive work environment that values each team member. Full-time positions at LitCharts include…
- Competitive salary
- Annual bonus
- Equity (RSUs)
- Healthcare coverage
- 401k with matching
- 100% remote work
- Flexible work schedule
- Work/life balance
- Yearly team meetups (post-pandemic)
- Learning and professional development resources
Our base salary range for this role is $88,000 – $135,000 per year for Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, and Nevada, and $88,000 – $151,000 per year for New York. The compensation offered for this role may differ in other locations. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above. You may be eligible to participate in our bonus program, and may be offered an equity award, benefits, and other types of compensation.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Join us on our mission!