VMware Carbon Black (501+ Employees, 7% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Product Managers at Tanzu Labs work with product designers, architects, engineers, and client stakeholders on radically collaborative teams. To us, Product Management is about strategy and execution. Tanzu Labs Product Managers align their teams on outcomes and drive product strategy. They create iterative release plans and feedback loops that enable us to create amazing products. We measure progress by shipping software, not documentation.
We work on custom client platform products which means PMs on our team get to work across a diverse array of fields throughout their time here. A PM might work to build a platform for a healthcare mobile app for 3 months and then hop over to building a platform for web-based banking software or tablet-based jet load-out tracking. This means our team is constantly learning about new industries and new customer needs. Our PMs are starting a new initiative every 3-6 months so we get to immerse ourselves in new problems and a wide array of potential solutions all year.
Our sweet spot is teaching our clients how to get better at software platforms through creating with them. As coaches and mentors, it’s normal for us to be on a blended team of colleagues and clients who are eager to learn what we know.
Product Managers at Tanzu Labs Platform are hungry to learn and love sharing what they know. Our diverse client base presents us with new problem spaces all the time. We use the fundamentals of Agile, Lean, and User-Centered Design to guide us. We strive for diverse teams because we’ve learned they are the most successful. If you want to work with a team of curious, brilliant, and kind technologists, come join us!
Our recent client engagements include:
- In 14 days, we replatformed a mission-critical app for tracking near-earth objects in space while enabling fast-track development of several tech applications for the USSF space software package.
- Enabling platform and DevOps collaboration between U.S. Space Force & U.S. Air Force
- Built a platform, then taught the U.S. Air Force how to code and saved the Pentagon millions
- Helped save lives during the Afghan evacuation enabled with the help of our highly-scalable platform running applications developed jointly with the USAF — more than 21,000 people were evacuated in what was the largest single day airlift in history and 122,300 people evacuated overall
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- 1st Day: You’ve had a great first day, met your manager and a couple of your peers who’ve welcomed you to the company and answered any burning questions you have. You also have a nice new computer setup!
- 1st Week: You have a good sense of our Labs practices and shadowed some sessions to see it work in practice. You have learned about our clients, tools, techniques, and your role within VMware. You’re more integrated into the wider Product Management practice and understand how you’re a critical part of that.
- 1st Month: You’ve joined your first project and applied your skills as a PM and consultant to further the team’s work. Your Architect and Engineering teammates are fantastic practitioners and excited to collaborate with you.
- 1st Quarter: You’ve made amazing improvements to your PM skills! You feel more comfortable helping less experienced client PMs build great software. You’ve helped our clients be effective PMs in an Extreme Programming (XP) environment. You feel capable of adapting your style to the needs of your team. You will keep your team productive and be a great communicator to executives. You paired with your manager to create goals aligned to your career and development interests. You have the support and resources at hand to go on that journey.
- 1st Year: You’ve succeeded in shipping a lot of valuable software on our Tanzu Platform! You’ve improved the skills and abilities of your client teammates so they can keep building great products themselves using Tanzu products! You’ve become an active member of our diverse PM community!
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your regular activities may be modified to suit your professional strengths, but daily life at Tanzu Labs will have you doing many or all of the following:
- Help your team understand the underlying strategy and problems as you collaborate on solutions.
- Collaborate/Pair daily with client Product Managers, Product Owners, and Stakeholders to solve complex problems in uncertain environments using a combination of their domain knowledge and your skills. Coach customers on our approach all along the way!
- Write user stories and prioritize them in a backlog. Keep your team informed and productive.
- Be a crucial member of a team dedicated to helping a single customer achieve their goals. Build, modernize, and launch a custom software platform with and for our customers.
- Advocate for modern best practices like Lean and Agile that make digital transformation a reality.
- Perform research, brainstorm solutions, and help guide product direction. Balance opportunities and business needs while keeping stakeholders aligned and supportive.
- Support consumer facing or internal go-to-market launches of new product platforms.
- Facilitate software demos, stakeholder check-ins, and other key meetings virtually or in-person.
- Collaborate with Designers and Software Engineers to find simpler ways to meet the needs of our customer’s users and business.
- Work with client leadership to build and maintain a healthy Product Management team
- Apply your Product Management skills to a portfolio of product teams, supporting outcomes that can only be achieved through a combined effort
- Learn new skills and grow in your own career while contributing learnings back to others in our Product Management practice so we can all grow and thrive together.
This position requires a pre-existing Top Secret or TS/SCI Security Clearance or Application for clearance.
This position will perform work that the U.S. government has specified can only be performed by a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and therefore any potential offer of employment will be contingent upon verification of these requirements.
This job opportunity is not eligible for U.S. employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware
This position will support client work across a variety of Department of Defense (DoD), Intelligence Community (IC), and Civilian agency programs and customers.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
We believe in collaborative, autonomous teams dedicated to achieving our customer’s goals. Our leadership strives to create a healthy environment for you to do your best work, and will empower you to work directly with your team and clients to deliver on the strategy. We are big thinkers who generate a lot of ideas, treat each other with kindness, collaborate on initiatives that matter, and maintain a safe space for all. We support one another by whatever means necessary, and trust each other to get the job done right, in a way that accommodates a flexible schedule to balance work and life.
Your manager will be an experienced Product Manager or Solutions Architect. They will support your growth through training, mentorship, and stretch opportunities. You should expect regular, bi-weekly 1:1 meetings with your manager where they are focused on career planning and project support. We are passionate about building valuable platforms and platform teams set up for long term success. We strive to leave every client team better than we found it and love collaborating along the exciting journey. We have a bias towards action and love to test ideas so we can learn and improve. We have learned that being empathetic, inclusive, and kind empowers people to achieve greatness. We look forward to welcoming team members, and work hard to make sure the onboarding process is smooth.
Where is this role located?
Like many companies, the COVID pandemic changed how we work. We are fortunate to be capable of running a strong business in a 100% remote working environment.
However, we believe that the fastest way to build authentic relationships is in person. Our role as consultants requires us to work well with new teammates on many types of engagements. We navigate large customer organizations, facilitate team building and work towards shared goals. We’ve found that we can do this remotely when we have to, but it is faster when we are co-located. Kicking off customer engagements in-person also fosters happier and more productive remote days. Once the pandemic is behind us, we expect more in-person collaboration at one of our offices or at the customer’s site (25-50%).
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink’s Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
VMware culture is based on a set of shared values best expressed through the acronym EPIC2: execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. These values imbue everything that we do, from our products and services to our community work through the VMware Foundation. It’s not unusual for a company to develop a set of core values. Where VMware stands out-and a major reason the company’s strong corporate culture has been recognized-is that the company’s values are a living, dynamic part of the workplace. VMware was named in Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers for Women, coming at number 3 in the IT category and number 57 overall (out of 300!).
This job may require the candidate to travel and/or work from a facility that requires full vaccination prior to entry.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.